Complaint about Useless USB Ports on Quantum Gateway Modem/Router
LennyMM
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can not access a hard drive from the USB port of this router with the current firmware version that Verizon provides. 
In the manual it states that firmware upgrades will allow the USB ports to be used to access hard drives and other peripherals but this router has been out for 2 years now and no firmware update has been released to do that yet. Verizon updates the firmware itself automatically from central.  We don't even have the option to do it on our own. 

I bought this M/R because it is the only unit avaiable to FIOS users.  Yet it remains incomplete.  In order to achieve the function of a small USB network storage device I would have to spend many many $$$ because Verizon won't simply supply the firmware update.

This is inexcusable.

0 Likes
Re: Complaint about Useless USB Ports on Quantum Gateway Modem/Router
jonjones1
Legend

@LennyMM wrote:

I can not access a hard drive from the USB port of this router with the current firmware version that Verizon provides. 
In the manual it states that firmware upgrades will allow the USB ports to be used to access hard drives and other peripherals but this router has been out for 2 years now and no firmware update has been released to do that yet. Verizon updates the firmware itself automatically from central.  We don't even have the option to do it on our own. 

I bought this M/R because it is the only unit avaiable to FIOS users.  Yet it remains incomplete.  In order to achieve the function of a small USB network storage device I would have to spend many many $$$ because Verizon won't simply supply the firmware update.

This is inexcusable.

Greenwave technologies makes the router for Verizon. It is their build out that is making it non functional for those ports. Verizon cannot do anything about it being crippled.

i would take that up with the manufacturer.

Besides that ask yourself this, why would Verizon not want you to use those ports? They would not hinder a customer using the router.

0 Likes
LennyMM
Enthusiast - Level 2

@jonjones wrote:

@LennyMM wrote:

This is inexcusable.

Greenwave technologies makes the router for Verizon. It is their build out that is making it non functional for those ports. Verizon cannot do anything about it being crippled.

i would take that up with the manufacturer.

Besides that ask yourself this, why would Verizon not want you to use those ports? They would not hinder a customer using the router.

I should take it up with the manufacturer??  Really??

Verizon is practically Greenwave's only customer for the design and purchase of the Quantum Gateway units.  If there is a problem, it is Verizon who should take it up with Greenwave.  Otherwise the two USB ports are merely decorations.  I am Verizon's customer, not Greenwave's.  And according to Verizon itself it, and only it can change the USB ports from being useless to being useful.

For it is VERIZON which wrotes to its customers in the Manual, "In the future, with a firmware upgrade, the USB host functionality may be available for other devices, such as external storage and cameras. Firmware updates are performed automatically by Verizon."  And I might add: ONLY by Verizon.

As for "why would Verizon not want you to use those ports?"  Well, I'd like to hear from Verizon on that.  Wouldn't you?

The alternative is for customers to have to go out and by a duplicate router with a functioning USB port.  Not a reasonable solution!

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

“the USB host functionality may be available for other devices, such as external storage and cameras”

The wording is MAY BE AVAILABLE not that it is available. Words I grant you but words to think about.

Greenwave may be just for Verizon but they make the devices and not Verizon. Greenwave also does the firmware updates not Verizon. After it’s built it is tested and the released to Verizon Fios. Just like all those poor people waiting for a firmware update to fix the 5 Ghz wireless radio from dropping. Verizon is waiting for the update, the customers are waiting for Verizon to receive it and push it out.

However this non functional usb on the Quantum Gateway Router is not evidently of major importance since Greenwave has had almost 3 years to make it work.

I use my own router, my usb works on it, the ready share vault works etc. because Netgear wants to keep customers. Greenwave doesn’t care because Fios users either use the router or not. It’s a harsh reality of consumer having a choice but don’t want to spend extra money for a better router.

0 Likes
LennyMM
Enthusiast - Level 2

@jonjones wrote:

“the USB host functionality may be available for other devices, such as external storage and cameras”

The wording is MAY BE AVAILABLE not that it is available. Words I grant you but words to think about.

Greenwave may be just for Verizon but they make the devices and not Verizon. Greenwave also does the firmware updates not Verizon. After it’s built it is tested and the released to Verizon Fios. Just like all those poor people waiting for a firmware update to fix the 5 Ghz wireless radio from dropping. Verizon is waiting for the update, the customers are waiting for Verizon to receive it and push it out.

However this non functional usb on the Quantum Gateway Router is not evidently of major importance since Greenwave has had almost 3 years to make it work.

I use my own router, my usb works on it, the ready share vault works etc. because Netgear wants to keep customers. Greenwave doesn’t care because Fios users either use the router or not. It’s a harsh reality of consumer having a choice but don’t want to spend extra money for a better router.

As for the importance of a functioning USB port, IMO that should be up to the customer.  Do you disagree?

The problem is, IIRC, that we MUST buy (or rent) the Greenwave router because it has within it the FIOS modem that is required.  So the customer has no choice.  Once agian I would remind you that I am Verizon's customer and not Greenwave's.  Seems Verison should:

1. Look for another supplier who can deliver the "good" goods.

2. Not tease its customers by suggesting it can upgrade the router with firmware when it can/will not.

In any event,  this thread is labeled "Complaint" with the hope that someone at Verizon with authority might see it and do something about it.  If you, jonjones, want to continue to make excuses for Verizon, I don't think anyone really cares.

Fortunately I live in an area where Spectrum competes with Verizon and is very agressively marketing its internet with speeds beginning at 100 Mbps.  Perhaps I'll be looking their way.

jonjones1
Legend

I am not making excuses for Verizon. Nothing I wrote to you even suggests that.

I trying to use common sense.

You want someone from Verizon to read this and respond? It’s not going to happen.

this is a customer helping customer forum. I am a customer.

i use my own router and if you wanted to use something that is not functional the chances are that will not be happening anytime soon. (3 years+)

1-800-VERIZON is the place to call and make your concerns known.

Greenwave is not going to make the router fully functional if they choose not to.

I agree you should be able to use fully a product that is critical for internet service.

However you can still use your own router with a MOCA adapter to have the channel guide and pay per view. 

There is a whole faq at www.dslreports.com under Verizon Fios that tells you how to accomplish it.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Router is not required. Verizon does not use modems.

What their router does have is a MOCA adapter that is needed to support Internet access to STBs.

If you do not have Verizon STBs, then it is easy to use your ownn router.
Would just have Internet delivered via ethernet to your own router.

If you do have Verizon STBs, you can use your own router.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum that gives details on how to use your own router.

You would either need to purchase a moca adapter or use the router as a moca adapter to do so.

If the router never had the USB ports, would you still have an issue?