Switch Account

Computer shutting down

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Computer shutting down

Message 1 of 3
(6,381 Views)

I just installed a router to my desktop for wireless laptop connection. Now everytime I use the desktop it shuts down after about a half hour or so. When I turn it back on  says: " Alert!  shutdown was due to thermal event! Has anyone ever heard of this? What is it and how do I make it stop?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Computer shutting down

Message 2 of 3
(6,375 Views)

Two guesses:

1) One of the fans in your desktop has stopped working - processor, power supply, or case. I would open the case, power it on, and see if all of the fans are running, and if not get the one that isn't replaced.

2) You have somehow acquired a virus that is playing games with you. I haven't heard of one like this, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

I really doubt that adding a router to your setup would cause this, unless you have the router directly underneath the desktop. Heat rises, and I presume you have the Actiontec and it does generate a lot of heat.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Computer shutting down

Message 3 of 3
(6,365 Views)
May I suggest that you move your laptop some distance from your router or vice versa and be sure that your laptop has sufficient "breathing room".
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.