Computer won't connect to internet.
Tamarillicent
Enthusiast - Level 2

Our main computer doesn't seem to want to connect to the internet via the ethernet or wireless.

We can connect wirelessly using our Kindle Fire and my android phone.  We can use our Vonage phone line, which is connected by ethernet. We cannot connect with our XBox, and Boxee Box which are both connected with ethernet.

I called the Verizon support and they decided to send me a replacement router but I have a feeling that may not be the problem.

Anyone have any idea what it could be before my new router arrives?

0 Likes
Re: Computer won't connect to internet.
Hubrisnxs
Legend

There was a big windows update (win vista and 7 got this update I believe) that killed a lot of internet connections on fri or saturday I believe.  Most people had to do a system restore to the 16th or earlier, and then all was well.   Try that and see if you can get back online.

start > all programs > accessories > system tools > system restore.   follow the instructions. 

0 Likes
marks1095

Has this been resolved yet?  I'm having the same problem also.  What happens to the critical updates from Microsoft?  If we restore to the point before the updates were downloaded, do we just not get them? 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. When you restore via System Restore, the next time the system boots back up after restore it will attempt to download and install the same updates again. Unless Microsoft pulled the update that specifically broke networking on the computer or released a fix to the update, it will re-install and you'll wind up right where you were before.

There were three Security patches for Windows XP, Vista and 7 computers that could have possibly caused this. KB2731847 modifies the way Kernel-Mode drivers (basically, the ones that interact with the heart of Windows. These include video drivers, network drivers, Mouse and Keyboard drivers, Chipset drivers, etc) operate with the operating system and for old drivers this could have caused problems as the managing of such code had changed a bit to patch a vulnerability within Windows. This vulnerability would have allowed someone to gain Administrator (or kernel-mode priveledges) to the machine if they had crafted a malware program to exploit it, which is obviously not very good. I doubt this would have affected much, however. You're more likely to have been affected by the next set of updates.

The other two updates, KB2712808 and KB2705219 are updates to how Windows responds to the Remote Administration Protocol and also the Printer Spooling service (which does tie into network services a bit for network printers). These were released to patch an issue where handling of specific traffic would have resulted in a Denial of Service, pretty much a network interruption or a software failure/crash. They were also released to prevent someone from performing something called Remote Code Execution, where an exploit is used to gain access to a computer. These two updates patched a few significant files related to Windows networking, and if the patching didn't go well for some reason it most likely broke networking in Windows. A system restore and a retry should get that back in working order with the patch though.

0 Likes
bfillip

I also lost the ability to connect to the internet on two out of four computers at the same time.  Verizon support was not helpful, essentially telling me that there was something wrong with my computers and it wasn' t their responsibility.  I believe the trigger was some kind of system update that was not compatible with the Verizon Security Suite.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the Verizon Security suite and somehow it is now working.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

I know Microsoft (and other vendors) don't think its a good idea, but where I can I either choice Download but don't install or option notify only.  Lots of reasons for this, including the occasional bad update, and having an update insist on a reboot or doing something that fouls up what you are working on until you let the system reboot.

I then install only after making sure I have the necessary backups and the time to deal with possible lose of access.

0 Likes
Tamarillicent
Enthusiast - Level 2

I do remember an update happening. Well that sucks.

Do you need to create restore points, does the update itself create a restore point? I think I made a restore point back when I got a rather serious virus and completely restored the machine to factory. That also sucked but you gotta do what you gotta do!

Thanks for the new lead! I'll see what I can do when I get home.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If System Restore wasn't disabled on the computer by some piece of malware or by you, the system should have automatically created a restore point before the update was installed and it should also have some periodic ones made during system start-up (Windows Vista/7) or during extended uptime.

System Restore is found at Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools. It's pretty straightforward to use.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@Smith6612 wrote:

If System Restore wasn't disabled on the computer by some piece of malware or by you, the system should have automatically created a restore point before the update was installed and it should also have some periodic ones made during system start-up (Windows Vista/7) or during extended uptime.

System Restore is found at Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools. It's pretty straightforward to use.

Do you know which fix or fixes are questionable?  Want to make sure I don't install them.

0 Likes
Tamarillicent
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I did a system restore and, miracle of miracles, the internet worked perfectly! Of course, the updates downloaded automatically again and the internet is gone. Again.

I've got to disconnect the computer, restore again, and disable the updates in order to keep my computer connected.

Is this a problem with Verizon's programming, Microsoft, or my computer? I really don't want to never update my computer again but if the updates are causing this I'm not sure there's another option that doesn't involve getting a new computer. This computer is only a year old and I like it quite a bit so I don't want to do that.

So, who has to fix this? Me, or some other entity?

0 Likes