Concurrent users on Actiontec MI424WR
bower5932

I have an Actiontec MI424WR (Rev A) router and I can only get 10 connections to it.  I see an option in the Advanced -> System Settings to configure number of concurrent users.  It is a drop-down box that only allows a maximum of 10.  Am I missing something?  I can't believe that I'm being limited to 10 connections. 

Thanks in advance, Ron

0 Likes
Re: Concurrent users on Actiontec MI424WR
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@bower5932 wrote:

Am I missing something? 

Yes.  That setting refers to the number of concurrent users of the router's admin GUI.  NOT the number of users connected to the internet through the router. 

With the default settings, the router can support 254 users.

0 Likes
bower5932

Any suggestions on what I should check to see why I can't get above 10?

And isn't 10 users for an admin connection a rather large number?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bower5932 wrote:

And isn't 10 users for an admin connection a rather large number?

Sure is. Best to leave the admin count to 2-3. One for Verizon's back door, one for you, one for accidents.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@bower5932 wrote:

Any suggestions on what I should check to see why I can't get above 10? 

Just how many concurrent admin GUI users do you need?

IMO, one is too many. Smiley Very Happy

0 Likes
reeve1

I think the gentleman was trying to explain an actual problem that I am also having. That is, only 11 concurrent devices can be connected to the router (not the GUI or man-machine interface, the router connections). It is being limited somewhere and whenever I try to connect a 12th device, it either fails, or sometimes knocks something else off and it gets connected.

I am disabled and aside from Netflix Devices, Chromecast, the Samsung Smart TV, my Router Extender, I need several computers so that I don't need roller skates to answer the phones and get information from a computer. It helps me to have several networked. It would help me immensely if I could connect more than 11 devices to my router. This includes both hard and wireless connections - 11 total.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Kind regards,

Paul

P.S. Let me add that you can have probably 254 devices in the device list, but only 11 active and with assigned IP addresses. Maybe a DHCP limitation on number of active devices? I don't have 11 kids playing WOW, I promise. I just need to have the devices sitting there and available to me. I live alone! Thanks!

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
If you can't get more than x amount of users concurrently then it's most likely due to an interference issue. Typically you can change the wifi channel and they held out quite a bit. If you sent familiar with how to do that then you might want to download and install the in home agent www.verizon.com/connect
0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which version of the router?  The original  poster had a REV A which is very limited, but for which I believe you can get a FREE upgrade. 

0 Likes
reeve1

Thanks for the response, but it consistently stops assigning IP addresses at precisely 11 users. An interference issue wouldn't be so precise, I feel. I've had this for over 7 years so I have some history with dealing with it and having to knock some devices off so I can allow others to connect to be able to use them.

0 Likes
reeve1

It's the Red-Faced model. I received it slightly more than a year ago to replace an older one. It shows to be from the factory as Rev. I on the device itself. Not sure if any firmware upgrades were done before I got it. But, changing the router didn't change the issue.

I wanted to see if there is a setting that Verizon may be using (and that I may change) for limiting concurrent active devices on my network, similar to concurrent users? I assume Verizon would use this to limit people from opening up a PC Cafe or Kiosk with 100s of users sharing a single connection. Is there such a setting and, if so, am I allowed to change it?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Paul

0 Likes