Configure ASUS router as Access Point?
Bassman31
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is there a good step-by-step process somewhere for configuring a router as an Access Point (AP) with the G1100, with WiFi disabled on the G1100?

I would like a static IP for my AP so I can always find it for config updates - I can set my ASUS router to be an AP - but get confused with the subnet stuff...

...I saw a thread from 2016, but it did not seem to talk about the static IP and subnet.

Basically, I want a static IP on my (ASUS) AP, with the G1100 set to not provide a conflicting IP via DHCP.

I’d just use my ASUS as a full router, but don’t want to double-NAT, and do not want to lose TV features, or have an unsupported configuration.

BTW, I am an avid reader on dslreports.com, but my searches to date have not found a simple enough posting for my limited knowledge of subnets. Also I was dead tired at the time, but was having trouble getting to the admin screen on the ASUS, hard-wired from PC, immediately after getting FIOS.  I am not completely brain-dead (locked-down security on G1100 pretty well, ran and tested the cat6 with old Fluke tester before tech came), but the AP configuration currently has me stumped.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Configure ASUS router as Access Point?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

To setup a static IP in the G1100 follow these steps...

Go to the “Advanced” tab. Then under Routing click “IP Address Distribution”. Click the red box that says “Connection List”. Go to the bottom of that page and you will see another red box that says “Add static connection +”

This is a link to the Asus website for AP mode...

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1015009/

If you are having trouble connecting to your Asus only connect to it's LAN port with just that computer and nothing else connected except that computer and Asus router. 

Then follow AP setup instructions. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

To setup a static IP in the G1100 follow these steps...

Go to the “Advanced” tab. Then under Routing click “IP Address Distribution”. Click the red box that says “Connection List”. Go to the bottom of that page and you will see another red box that says “Add static connection +”

This is a link to the Asus website for AP mode...

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1015009/

If you are having trouble connecting to your Asus only connect to it's LAN port with just that computer and nothing else connected except that computer and Asus router. 

Then follow AP setup instructions. 

Bassman31
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey, thanks!  It looks like you did a good bit of research to come-up with that response.  Much, much appreciated!!

Last couple of weeks has been stressful, with the transition to FIOS.  You made my day!