Configure DNS in 9100em router
itsshirley
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having problems viewing my web cams after switching to FIOS. Ports are forwarded correct, no problems there. But in the DNS selection, I have an error that shows can't update. Please help, I need to monitor remotely.

Re: Configure DNS in 9100em router
cbwoodstock91
Contributor - Level 1

Hi,

I'm wondering what is the version of your Router's firmware, Did you try dowload a different firmware?you can try

the link  below,  there is a drop down menu in the top of the page, only pick your model.

http://www2.verizon.net/micro/fios_router_update/

Let me know what happened

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@itsshirley wrote:

I'm having problems viewing my web cams after switching to FIOS. Ports are forwarded correct, no problems there. But in the DNS selection, I have an error that shows can't update. Please help, I need to monitor remotely.

Which DNS selection are you referring to? 

There are multiple places in the 9100 where DNS settings are specified.

• Broadband (ethernet or coax) settings (WAN)
  • Network (H/O) settings (LAN)

The DNS settings on  the WAN interface should not affect your ability to access your web cams.

The DNS settings on the LAN interface control what DNS addresses are passed to clients requestinf DNS address as part of their DHCP lease request.  These settings should not affect your web cams either.  IOW, the web cams should not require changing DNS settings in the router at all.

Assuming you have residential FIOS, you have a dynamic IP address, which means it can change.  Usually when someone has a web cam or server they want to access remotely and have a dynamic WAN IP address, they usually subscribe to a service such as DynDNS.com which maps a subdomain such as mydomain.dnsdns.com to your dynamic IP address.  You need to run a updater that sends a message when your DHCP address changes.  YOu can configure the 9100EM to do this automatically.

I also don't understand what you mean by "I have an error that shows can't update".  Update what?  Can you please clarify?

If I've misunderstood your question, please post back.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I dont know much about remote access on security cameras, but I do seem to remember a problem posted a year or so back. Do you know what port your camera's remote access is on? If I remember right, many camera's use port 80 for the remote monitoring and in many area's, Verizon blocks port 80 on residential acctounts. It may be that you will need to change the default port that your camera uses.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I thougtht Verizon unblocked Port 80 last summer?

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

You'll never know until you try it.  I've never been blocked.

0 Likes