Confused about extenders, mesh, etc for fios
adrosenb1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all! I've tried to read up as best I can, but I seem to be stuck in an internet rat hole where I can make heads or tails of what I should do!

I have gigabit fios. I rent a G1100 and have and own an actiontec wcb6200q moca extender (it has the verizon logo on it if that matters).

My #1 goal is to stop paying the $12 per month got the router rental. Secondary goal would be to increase wifi coverage. I have a remote work stipend, so don't mind spending a little more now for a long term solution,

I don't have any major wifi issues with speed or coverage in the house. If I was being greedy, I'd say I wouldn't mind better coverage in the yard for streaming music, etc. Home was built in 1998.

So my setup today:

Basement - G1100

Ground level - wired ethernet in office, smart tv that connects to wifi with verizon set top box (stream 4k netlix and 95.5% if time have no issues)

Second floor - actiontec wcb6200q moca extender in one of the bedrooms in center of the house.

Options:

1. Buy verizon g3100 router ($299), keep actiontec wcb6200q moca extender. See how coverage is. If I ever want to strengthen further, buy another moca adapter for first floor.

2) Buy a G1100 from amazon ($99 renewed?) and then buy a mesh system to plug in there and run wifi through that.

#1 seems simpler given I have had no issues with coverage except outside, but I am wondering if I am better off getting away from verizon equipment. Of course since I own the actiontec wcb6200q moca extender which works, seems like that is another reason not to buy a whole new system.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Confused about extenders, mesh, etc for fios
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

How about this ... buy a new router of your preference and replace the Verizon router (assuming you are provisioned on ethernet for internet here).   Buy an ActionTec ECB6200 MoCA bridge.   Install it next to your new router, connect the ethernet to a router LAN port, connect coax to your cable plant.   

Configure you new router WiFi as desired.

You may need to factory reset your extender and reconfigure it to match your new WiFi settings, but otherwise it should just "work".

View solution in original post

appDev
Contributor - Level 1

option #2 would be better in the long run, but maybe try renting the new G3100 for a month and see how it works? i just got mine a couple days ago, and its good, but still can't get wi-fi to everywhere i need in the house without extra support...

adrosenb1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hmm, interesting idea on the rental!

Why is mesh so much better long run?

Seems like my option is $299 for new fios gateway or around $100 for old gateway + $400 for eero system. With eero I probably will get more coverage in my yard, etc. Are there other benefits I'm missing besides distance? speed?

0 Likes
appDev
Contributor - Level 1

IMHO, the addition of a mesh would be 'yours' independent of the provider, and you can likely add/customize as you need. And yes, longer range, and speed, and endless options you can choose from. Eero is not even the only game in town. if you're just plugging in a 'mesh' after the router, you can do almost any that you want.

In fact, you could also 'try' a mesh with your current setup and see how it works for you, and within the return window, likely change or return the product if you're dissatisfied.

i'm in a similar boat - just got the new G3110 less than a week ago - trying it on rental (i bought my G1100 outright since i wasn't a fan of paying monthly). I am now trying everything from an add-on mesh to Moca (coax and ethernet) to replacing the VZ router with my own (and ensuring my TV One box still works). You're being smarter than i am 🙂

charlyc
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Actiontec wcb6200q does not work with the Verizon G3100 the MoCa via coax not compatible. G3100 has MoCa 2.5 and Actiontec 2.0 and they don't work together. Only one that works is their E3200 extender MoCa 2.5. I tried to make them work and no go they even state that on their sales page. Now I picked up the G3100 and E3200 and have my two Actiontec wcb6200q on Ebay.

adrosenb1
Enthusiast - Level 2

oh wow. interesting. so it seems like really he most sensible option is to go with eero. if i upgrade to the 3100 i have to upgrade the moca as well. both are about $500, so seems like mesh gets me more for my money.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

How about this ... buy a new router of your preference and replace the Verizon router (assuming you are provisioned on ethernet for internet here).   Buy an ActionTec ECB6200 MoCA bridge.   Install it next to your new router, connect the ethernet to a router LAN port, connect coax to your cable plant.   

Configure you new router WiFi as desired.

You may need to factory reset your extender and reconfigure it to match your new WiFi settings, but otherwise it should just "work".

rcspencer1
Enthusiast - Level 2

In addition to the Actiontec router, I have these 2 devices in my basement, so not really sure what the right hookup is for the Deco mesh?  I plugged it into one of the ethernet ports on the Actiontec and it seems to be working, but can I eliminate anything?  Thanks for  any help you can provide. 

Fios pic1 

Fios pic2 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Picture 1 is the ONT, picture 2 is the power unit.

Deco needs to be connected either through bridge mode behind the Actiontec router, or through router mode in place of the Actiontec router. Your WAN must be delivered through Ethernet if you are using the Deco to replace the Actiontec router.

All Actiontec routers are End of Support since Sept 2020, replacement with either G1100 or G3100 is advised.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

That particular ONT is a Tellabs 611. I have the same unit in our house.

It is obsolete in that the fastest Internet speed that it can support is 75M/75M.

If you decide to up your Internet speed to 100M or higher, Verizon will need to replace the Tellabs with one manufactured by Alcatel/Lucent.