Connect D-link DGL-4500 wireless N router
Chas19
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will be moving in a few weeks to a apartment complex that will let me switch from brighthouse to verizon FIOS.  I just bought this Dlink  wireless N router to use with my xbox 360 slim cause it has N wifi.  I was wondering if I connected the dlink router to a LAN port on the verizon router will that work to get my N network.  I am looking at getting FIOS TV and internet.  I saw a bunch of different ways to set it up but most of it dosent make sense to me.    If anyone thinks just connecting it via LAN port will work let me know.  Thanks

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connect D-link DGL-4500 wireless N router
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not a problem.   I use this exact setup at home.  While Verizon won't provide "support" for your Dlink connection, the TV STB's and anything you choose to directly connect to the FiOS router all do so in their "supported" configuration, so they won't have any issues with it.   The installer however may well look at you sideways if you try to hand him a router to hook up, so save yourself the trouble and keep that aside until they're done.

The STB's for the TV's connect to Coax and will connect to your FiOS router via a MoCA interface (coax).   They will DHCP addresses from the router in the 192.168.1.100 and up range.   They TV portion is delivered directly via the ONT and not thru the router so there is no issue there and your Dlink is actually upstream from the FiOS router so they won't even interact with it.  The connection for the STB's allows them to get OnDemand and channel guide information.   The FiOS router then uses a different frequency on the MoCA to carry traffic on the "Internet" or "WAN" side back to the ONT (as Coax easily handle's multiple frequencies, the signals for the STB's TV, LAN, and Internet all ride the same wire on different "channels").

What will happen is Verizon will likely connect your STB's to the various Coax outlets in your house.  The will attach the FiOS router to one of the Coax outlets as well (either via a splitter near one of the TV's or another outlet entirely).   The Coax network in turn will be connected to the ONT mounted outside the house where the fiber terminates.

You will connect your Dlink in the "access point" mode I described via an ethernet cable to the FiOS router (which will have four LAN connections on it and a probably unused WAN port).

View solution in original post

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You could connect the "WAN" port of the Dlink to the "LAN" port on the new FiOS router you receive, but since you mention Xbox, I know this will cause some issues for you with the online gaming (from a technical perspective, it results in a "double NAT" and the UPnP hints the Xbox generates don't get propigated out to the FiOS router correctly).

For your situation, since you already have the router ... (also in the product manual for the DGL-4500 downloaded from DLink starting on page 12)

1. When you get your FiOS router, connect a PC directly to this router and go into the administration console and turn OFF the wireless (you don't need it because you're using your Dlink).

2. Now, connect a PC directly to the Dlink (don't connect it to the FiOS router yet).   Change the LAN IP address of the Dlink to 192.168.1.254 / 255.255.255.0 (the default network used by the FiOS router will be 192.168.1.x).   While logged into the Dlink, disable the DHCP server, and UPnP.   After changing the IP of the Dlink, you may need to disconnect and reconnect your PC to pick up a new IP address before disabling the DHCP server and UPnP.

3. With address of the router now changed, connect any LAN port on the DLink to any LAN port on the FiOS router.

The WAN port on the Dlink will not be used.

You can connect any hardwired devices to LAN ports on either of the FiOS or DLink devices.

The wireless network will be served by the Wireless N network in the DLink

Chas19
Enthusiast - Level 2

Will this be ok with the TV part of FIOS it wont mess that up

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not a problem.   I use this exact setup at home.  While Verizon won't provide "support" for your Dlink connection, the TV STB's and anything you choose to directly connect to the FiOS router all do so in their "supported" configuration, so they won't have any issues with it.   The installer however may well look at you sideways if you try to hand him a router to hook up, so save yourself the trouble and keep that aside until they're done.

The STB's for the TV's connect to Coax and will connect to your FiOS router via a MoCA interface (coax).   They will DHCP addresses from the router in the 192.168.1.100 and up range.   They TV portion is delivered directly via the ONT and not thru the router so there is no issue there and your Dlink is actually upstream from the FiOS router so they won't even interact with it.  The connection for the STB's allows them to get OnDemand and channel guide information.   The FiOS router then uses a different frequency on the MoCA to carry traffic on the "Internet" or "WAN" side back to the ONT (as Coax easily handle's multiple frequencies, the signals for the STB's TV, LAN, and Internet all ride the same wire on different "channels").

What will happen is Verizon will likely connect your STB's to the various Coax outlets in your house.  The will attach the FiOS router to one of the Coax outlets as well (either via a splitter near one of the TV's or another outlet entirely).   The Coax network in turn will be connected to the ONT mounted outside the house where the fiber terminates.

You will connect your Dlink in the "access point" mode I described via an ethernet cable to the FiOS router (which will have four LAN connections on it and a probably unused WAN port).

Chas19
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok cool this actually makes sense to me.  I have been reading the past few days but couldn't find anything clear.  I don't mind brighthouse but want NFL network and the apartments let me do it and I just bought this router and love it and hate to sell it.  Thanks again.

pfaustino
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi, I'm in the same situation but I didn't really understand your instructions, could you try to explain it to me?

Thanks a lot,

Paul

0 Likes