Connect MI424WG to Junos Pulse VPN
Trink1

I have an Actiontec MI424WG Rev I router that replaced a Rev E router. To get the Rev E to work with Junos Plus client side VPN I had to change the routers IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2 because it conflicted with the server side ip address I needed to connect to.

I tried this approach with the rev I and it was no go. The first attempt to change the rev I ip address to 192.168.1.2 resulted in a input error "The Device's IP address should not be in the range of the IP pool" so I changed the IP Address Distributions Start IP Address: to 192.168.1.3 I was able to save this config but still not able to connect to the server side ip address.

Verizon level one support would not help. They said as long as the router connects to the internet they meet their obligation. I tried their advance support at $39.95 per hr with no success. I was given an Actiontec support Phone number to try. I thought I would try this board before trying them

0 Likes
Re: Connect MI424WG to Junos Pulse VPN
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Trink wrote:

I have an Actiontec MI424WG Rev I router that replaced a Rev E router. To get the Rev E to work with Junos Plus client side VPN I had to change the routers IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2 because it conflicted with the server side ip address I needed to connect to.

That's odd.  192.168.x.x is an un-routable IP address range used for local networks only.  This is why we can all have LANs that use this address.  The server for your VPN system can't have a public 192.168.x.x address.  So, I'm not sure where the conflict comes from.

What is the IP address of the VPN server?

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Trink1

I'm not 100% clear exactly what the ip address of the VNP server is. I log into the server at a url--- remote.xxxxxx.com with my junos plus  client software. Once logged in I try to connect to a server at that url. That is where I get hung up.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Okay, then we know the VPN is working properly though the router.  This sounds like a VPN client configuration issue

I suspect you're getting a conflict between the 192.168.x.x LAN subnet used in your home and the same 192.168.x.x subnet used within the VPN connected network.  If the VPN client  has a configuration option to "allow local network access" try turning that off.  That will force it to send all packets through the VPN network.  If that clears up the problem then you'll know what the issue is.

If this is the issue and you want to have local network access while connected to the VPN, you may want to change the LAN to use a completely different subnet.  192.168.2,x might work well.

If the entity you're connecting to has an IT support team, they may be able to help you as well.

Good Luck.

Trink1

Thanks. I have been talking to the IT guy but I think he is just stalling me by blaming my routers config. I think the problem lies on his end. I am fairly certain that I am connecting to the VPN server. my trouble is connecting to a server on a LAN that the VPN is connected to.  I think he needs to verify I am mapped  to the proper role.

If I am connected to the VPN should it show up on my router as a device on my LAN

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gs0b wrote:

If this is the issue and you want to have local network access while connected to the VPN, you may want to change the LAN to use a completely different subnet.  192.168.2,x might work well.

If the entity you're connecting to has an IT support team, they may be able to help you as well.

Good Luck.

One of the main points of using a VPN client is exactly to prohibit you accessing your local network (apart from the client addresson your local network) at the same time as you are acessing the remote network.

Trink1

After much back & forth with the IT department I need to change the IP address of my router to 192.168.2.x

and all devices connected to my LAN to that. I changed the router to that and modified the range to that. But none of my devices would connect to the new settings

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Trink wrote:

After much back & forth with the IT department I need to change the IP address of my router to 192.168.2.x

and all devices connected to my LAN to that. I changed the router to that and modified the range to that. But none of my devices would connect to the new settings

To be sure, you did a release and renew, or rebooted your devices after? Changing the range to 192.168.2.x and making the ActionTec 192.168.2.1 leaving the subnet mask the same should work fine.

0 Likes