Connect NETGEAR switch to Actionet Router
Inquisitor06

I want to expand my wired network in the house. How do I connect the NETGEAR Switch GS105 to the Verizon provided wireless router. Is there anything special that I have to do or just plug it in to one of the 4 ports in the back?  I see a lot of discussions on adding routers to the network but nothing about a switch.

TIA.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connect NETGEAR switch to Actionet Router
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Inquisitor06 wrote:

I want to expand my wired network in the house. How do I connect the NETGEAR Switch GS105 to the Verizon provided wireless router. Is there anything special that I have to do or just plug it in to one of the 4 ports in the back?  ...

Connect your switch to the Actiontec with a standard network cable (RJ-45), using one of the LAN ports on the Actiontec, and the appropriate port on the switch.  Older switches used an "input" port that connected to the router, but most modern switches allow the use of any port for connections.  That's all there is to it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Inquisitor06 wrote:

I want to expand my wired network in the house. How do I connect the NETGEAR Switch GS105 to the Verizon provided wireless router. Is there anything special that I have to do or just plug it in to one of the 4 ports in the back?  ...

Connect your switch to the Actiontec with a standard network cable (RJ-45), using one of the LAN ports on the Actiontec, and the appropriate port on the switch.  Older switches used an "input" port that connected to the router, but most modern switches allow the use of any port for connections.  That's all there is to it.

0 Likes
Inquisitor06

Thanks.  Appreciate the quick response.

0 Likes