Connect Router Via Coax Instead of Ethernet
BigPete82
Contributor - Level 3

Hi,

I've got FiOS TV & Internet.  My router is currently connected to the ONT via Ethernet WAN.  However, the router is located in my garage and I don't get great reception so I want to move the router inside to the living room and connect it via Coax WAN (since I only have 25/25 I figure connecting via Coax instead of ethernet won't adversely affect the quality of my connection).  The Coax is already connected to the ONT with Coax for the video.  However, when I remove the Ethernet cable, the router does not automatically switch to Coax WAN.  Going into the router settings it says the Coax cable is disconnected even though video is still working.  Do I need to do anything in the ONT to output data to the Coax?  Do I need to call Verizon to switch from ethernet to coax?  Please advise.  Thanks,

Pete

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connect Router Via Coax Instead of Ethernet
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@BigPete82 wrote:

... I've got FiOS TV & Internet.  My router is currently connected to the ONT via Ethernet WAN ... I want to move the router inside to the living room and connect it via Coax WAN  ... The Coax is already connected to the ONT with Coax for the video.  However, when I remove the Ethernet cable, the router does not automatically switch to Coax WAN .... Do I need to call Verizon to switch from ethernet to coax? ...

You cannot make this change yourself.  However VZ can change your provisioning from Ethernet WAN to coax WAN "over the phone" (i.e., without an on-site service call).  The transition is pretty simple and involves releasing the old lease on their end, etc., but the tech CSR will easily walk you through it.  However there are a few open equipment issues you may want to consider.

First, you can have coax WAN, or Ethernet WAN, but not both simultaneously.  Since you have Ethernet, it's likely that you've had your service for some time, (the original FiOS installs used this arrangement).  But since you also have TV service, then you likely also have an additional adapter in the network to allow the router to tap into TV services such as VOD, the Guide, etc.  In the new  layout, this adapter isn't required.  You will be using what's called MoCA provisioning.

Which raises the next question: which router model do you have?  If you have an older revision, it might be a good idea to try for an upgrade with improved wireless ability.  Obviously what you are doing is setting set up a coax WAN network with coax cables running directly to each STB and the router (via the appropriate splitter).  Your Internet connections will then be either Ethernet from the router, or wireless via the router.  The newer routers have improved wireless capabilities that may be useful to you.

The reason I'm suggesting that several equipment changes may be either advisable or even required is to warn that the transition from Ethernet WAN to coax WAN will likely involve more than just a phone call.  Good luck.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@BigPete82 wrote:

... I've got FiOS TV & Internet.  My router is currently connected to the ONT via Ethernet WAN ... I want to move the router inside to the living room and connect it via Coax WAN  ... The Coax is already connected to the ONT with Coax for the video.  However, when I remove the Ethernet cable, the router does not automatically switch to Coax WAN .... Do I need to call Verizon to switch from ethernet to coax? ...

You cannot make this change yourself.  However VZ can change your provisioning from Ethernet WAN to coax WAN "over the phone" (i.e., without an on-site service call).  The transition is pretty simple and involves releasing the old lease on their end, etc., but the tech CSR will easily walk you through it.  However there are a few open equipment issues you may want to consider.

First, you can have coax WAN, or Ethernet WAN, but not both simultaneously.  Since you have Ethernet, it's likely that you've had your service for some time, (the original FiOS installs used this arrangement).  But since you also have TV service, then you likely also have an additional adapter in the network to allow the router to tap into TV services such as VOD, the Guide, etc.  In the new  layout, this adapter isn't required.  You will be using what's called MoCA provisioning.

Which raises the next question: which router model do you have?  If you have an older revision, it might be a good idea to try for an upgrade with improved wireless ability.  Obviously what you are doing is setting set up a coax WAN network with coax cables running directly to each STB and the router (via the appropriate splitter).  Your Internet connections will then be either Ethernet from the router, or wireless via the router.  The newer routers have improved wireless capabilities that may be useful to you.

The reason I'm suggesting that several equipment changes may be either advisable or even required is to warn that the transition from Ethernet WAN to coax WAN will likely involve more than just a phone call.  Good luck.

0 Likes
BigPete82
Contributor - Level 3

I've got the ActionTec MI424WR.  Don't know for sure which revision it is, but I think its E or F... What can I upgrade to?

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@BigPete82 wrote:

I've got the ActionTec MI424WR.  Don't know for sure which revision it is, but I think its E or F... What can I upgrade to?

The latest is Rev I which can do Wireless N.  None of the Actiontec routers are dual band.  Here is some (but not 

all) of the information available:

http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/Internet/fiosinternet/Networking/Troubleshooting/Troubl...

0 Likes
BigPete82
Contributor - Level 3

Where would the adapter be located if I have one?  Between the ONT and router?  If so I don't have one.  I'm pretty sure the Actiontec Rev E and F supports MoCA.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@BigPete82 wrote:

Where would the adapter be located if I have one?  Between the ONT and router?  If so I don't have one.  I'm pretty sure the Actiontec Rev E and F supports MoCA.

It does, but if you are Ethernet provisioned, then you will not have the VOD and Guide.   You haven't commented on this.

Also you haven't really indicated  what you have with respect to equipment, wiring layout, subscribed services, etc.  I'm sure you're aware that I'm a regular user like you, so I haven't access to what services you have.  That means that without further details on your specifics, I'm reduced to speculating.

Here's a good general description of Ethernet and coax WAS systems:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16753

Here is a typical layout submitted by another user:

http://www.lakekiowatx.com/document/24463269verizon_fios_actiontec.pdf?10090

You may also find something that looks like your system and layout among these images:

https://www.google.com/#output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=fios%20wiring%20diagram&oq=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=o...

0 Likes
BigPete82
Contributor - Level 3

I am able to get VOD and guide

0 Likes
cdukeDOTF
Enthusiast - Level 1

I too have the MI424WR router and want to upgrade to a personally owned router so I need the COAX input changed to Ethernet.  I did talk to Verizon via chat session and they tried to run a command to make the switch, but it did not work.  

Are there some terminal boxes, even though they have an Ethernet port inside them, the Ethernet port cannot be made to work?  If this is the case then customers are restricted to use only Verizon routers and they are not the most efficient on the market. 

regards,

cdukeDOTF

0 Likes
starrin
Contributor - Level 3

Is there anything here that can help you?  You may want a combination:

http://tinyurl.com/ngdqfz

cdukeDOTF
Enthusiast - Level 1

Very interesting information, lots to digest.  This does directly affect my situation.  Thank you for the references.  I appreciate the speedy feedback.

0 Likes