Connect streaming DVD player to internet via COAX?
barbx
Enthusiast - Level 1

Newbie and non-techie here!

My Fios wireless router is on the main level.

TV+DVD player with streaming capability is in the basement.

TV is hooked up to FioS via COAX in the wall but there are 2 COAX ports.

Can I use the 2nd COAX port to connect my DVD player to Fios internet?

Right now the DVD player cannot connect wirelessly to FioS internet because it's so far from the router.

I have a TP-LINK TL-WA850RE N300 Universal Wireless Range Extender that doesn't seem to make a dang bit of difference with the wireless signal.

Help! Trying to figure out how to connect without buying an expensive wireless extender.

0 Likes
Re: Connect streaming DVD player to internet via COAX?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@barbx wrote:

Newbie and non-techie here!

My Fios wireless router is on the main level.

TV+DVD player with streaming capability is in the basement.

TV is hooked up to FioS via COAX in the wall but there are 2 COAX ports.

Can I use the 2nd COAX port to connect my DVD player to Fios internet?

Right now the DVD player cannot connect wirelessly to FioS internet because it's so far from the router.

I have a TP-LINK TL-WA850RE N300 Universal Wireless Range Extender that doesn't seem to make a dang bit of difference with the wireless signal.

Help! Trying to figure out how to connect without buying an expensive wireless extender.

Buy an old fios router on ebay.  Add a spliiter to the coax at the tv and bridge the old router to the verizon subnet.  Now you will have 4 ethernet ports and a WAP at the tv.  I'm sure your dvd player has an ethernet port in addition wifi so you could connect via either method.

barbx
Enthusiast - Level 1

Can I hook up a 2nd router to the Coax and use that to get a wireless signal to the DVD player instead? Not a hardline?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the DVD player has a MoCA network interface, then it can connect to the coax.  MoCA is a technology that puts Internet type data on coax in parallel with TV signals.  If it doesn't have MoCA (most likely), it needs to connect to WiFI or Ethernet for Internet.  If you're not sure what features your DVD has post the model number or a link to the product web page and I or others might be able to figure it out for you.

To get Ethernet, you'll need a MoCA to Ethernet bridge.  As viafax999 suggested, another FiOS router can be used for this.  It does require a few modifications of the router settings, so you do need to be comfortable mucking around in the router's configuration web page.

If you want a simple solution, get a Verizon network extender.  You simply plug it into the coax and it provides another WiFI Access point and two Ethernet jacks.  It'll have the added advantage of extending your network without any speed decreases (typical network extenders cut speeds in half).  You can buy one here:

http://www.verizon.com/fiosaccessories

Good Luck.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@barbx wrote:

Can I hook up a 2nd router to the Coax and use that to get a wireless signal to the DVD player instead? Not a hardline?

That's what my previous reply suggested to you as the way to do it.

The configuration process to bridge the 2nd router is pretty simple and many people will respond if you are having issues getting it to work.

As gs0b mentioned the wireless extender will work with no configuration, just a more expensive solution.

0 Likes
barbx
Enthusiast - Level 1

Bought a wireless extender from Craigslist. It's a Verizon Actiontec.

It's plugged into the Coax and Ethernet out is plugged directly into the DVD player to stream video.

It doesn't seem to be working. Streaming Amazon video is just as laggy as before!

Where have I gone wrong? I unplugged the wireless antenna from the DVD player to make sure that it's using the Ethernet connection.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

What model and version number is the extender? and did you reconfigure the dvd player to say it was an ethernet rather than wireless connection?

0 Likes