Connect wirelessly to Roku
land0tv

Hi - I have Fios internet with an Actiontec 1424 router (wireless) - it also has an ethernet connection (wired). I am looking at hooking up that streaming tv service (Roku) to my tv. I am also looking at a new pc purchase. The question is - does the new pc have to to be wireless to make this connection (hookup) or can I connect to Roku through the tv to the Verizon router without any pc involvement. Hope that is clear. Thanks very much.

0 Likes
Re: Connect wirelessly to Roku
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Your question isn't exactly clear but let me take a stab at it.

The Roku box requires no PC involvement.  It connects to the Internet via Ethernet or wifi and it's output then goes to your TV.

I have my Roku box connected via Ethernet because I've always found wired to be more dependable that wireless.  In theory, though, if your wifi signal is adquate at the Roku box's location, wifi should work fine.

Does that answer what you were asking?

land0tv

It sure does and thank you. I would like to take it one step further - the tv is about 10 feet from the pc and the router. I would rather hook it up thru the ethernet due to stability etc. So to clarify, if wirelessly connected, I would plug the roku directly into the tv with an hdmi cable. If ethernet, I would connect the roku directly into the router at my desk. That's the only part that is still a little fuzzy - appreciate the help.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

What I envision is you would connect the Roku box via Cat 5 to a port on your router, and then through HDMI or composite cables to your TV.   But even if you used wifi, the connections would be bascially the same.  Roku box input from the router (via Cat 5 or wifi).  Roku box output to the TV.

Make the Roku website here will help clarify:

http://www.roku.com/roku-products#4

land0tv

Hmm - I looked at the setup page for the Roku and it shows the unit connected to the tv via hdmi and I didn't read or see anything about other cables such as cat 5. Guess I'll have to order one, try it out and if no deal, I guess I have 30 days to figure it out. Thanks again for your input. Do you like the Roku service and does it work pretty well?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

You have to get the Internet to the Roku box some how.  That's how it gets the streaming video it outputs to the TV.

Check this page:  http://shop.roku.com/Roku-Digital-Video-Player-Options-W5.aspx

It shows that all 3 Roku models available have wifi or Ethernet input capability.

I like the capabilities of the Roku box and NetFlix alot.  I'm hoping one of these days a greater percentage of NetFlix's library will be available on Watch Instantly, especially newer titles.

Good luck.

0 Likes
joeyc2

I can not get connected to my wireless network for my ROKU connection.  I use all the correct info.   I use the password from Verizon.s router and the bottom line is   cant connect. WHY  I have another one on a different TV and it is perfect.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@joeyc wrote:

I can not get connected to my wireless network for my ROKU connection.  I use all the correct info.   I use the password from Verizon.s router and the bottom line is   cant connect. WHY  I have another one on a different TV and it is perfect.

If II understand what you've written, you already have a Roku unit connected to a particular display device that connects wirelessly to your Verizon router (stop me right here if this is not the case).

You also have a second Roku device that does not connect to the router.  Assuming you are using the correct username, wireless SSID, and pass, then the inability to connect is due either to the Roku unit itself, or to wireless propagation issues in your building.

If the unit is defective, then it just needs replacement.  These devices cannot be "serviced" in the usual sense, and although a defect is a bit rare it does happen.

If the issue is instead a wireless propagation problem, then look into the differences between both your units (location, distance from wireless radio, possible interferences, etc.).

Here's a link that discusses wireless issues in some detail:

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Why-your-Wi-Fi-is-slow/td-p/534451

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1
There's one other possibility. Some earlier Roku boxes are 80211.b/g only.  If the network it's trying to connect to is 80211.n a connection will not happen.
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@eljefe wrote:

There's one other possibility. Some earlier Roku boxes are 80211.b/g only.  If the network it's trying to connect to is 80211.n a connection will not happen.

Good point.  I suspect the router is set to the default "Auto" and will therefore connect to the older devices, but only the OP can enlighten us.

0 Likes