Re: Connected laptop not showing up in myFios
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I checked today. Unlike G1100, G3100 does not ping all IP addresses on the subnet from time to time to detect the presence of individual devices.

Coming down to the root issue, why do you need to see the laptop on the Network Devices menu? Are you trying to setup some Parental Control rules and/or Access Control lists? For those, simply reserve a static DHCP assignment in the subnet address pool for a specific device, then specify the IP address when setting up rules and restrictions.

taylor

Yes - trying to control the device with parental controls.

renamed the pc yesterday, rebooted, and for now is showing up.  Going to test it today to see if the controls are actually working.

can you simplify your description of what I could also do?

thank you.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I did some experiments on a G3100 today. It turns out my advice above does not work at all. Parental Controls are more rigid in setting than Access Control Lists. My previous instructions work for creating Access Control Lists, but not for Parental Controls. Sorry for the inconvenience. Please disregard my previous advice and I will try to find another solution for you.

taylor

I appreciate it.  

0 Likes
taylor

once again the laptop is not showing up under Devices and HNP is not on at all.  Just trying to use default tool to block access.

I was on the laptop, disconnected from wifi, forget the network, re-connected and same problem is back.  It does not show up yet it is connected.

I have the router as mentioned and the accompanying fios extender.  PLEASE HELP.

0 Likes
taylor

How can Verizon have no answers for this?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is a largely peer-to-peer Forum.

Does the laptop pull an IP address through the DHCP, or have you assigned it manually?

taylor

Can you help me with this?  What is the DHCP?

If I run ipconfig, I can see the address but want to make sure I understand your question.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just throwing this one out......For the WIFI network, is the computer's profile set to "Public" or "Private"? šŸ¤”

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry for not replying despite seeing your post hours ago. I was helping other users.

DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. G3100 router has a DHCP server built-in. Devices with DHCP capabilities are DHCP clients. Each DHCP client queries the DHCP server to obtain an IP address lease, gateway information, and more. DHCP enables each device to populate their network settings without users doing them manually.

Dexman just replied while I am typing, so I will comment on his post as well.

I think toggling a network to Public or Private only activates different sets of firewall rules. If you have the laptop set to Private, it may allow the router to recognize the device.