Connected laptop not showing up in myFios
taylor

I have a laptop connected to my Fios wifi.  If i plug it in with ethernet, it will show up and I can manage it.

Once I use if purely via wifi, the laptop does not appear under Connected Devices even though it is connected.

What can i do to fix this as I need to manage this laptop in my Fios for content protection and blocked hours?

Have brand new router and fios extender.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connected laptop not showing up in myFios
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hi Cang!

Working off of my mid-range memory (such that it is), I ran into a situation at my church where devices connected to the various WIFI spots (Linksys...configured as either DHCP or Bridge) were not showing up on the device lists.

After some searching, I configured the WIFI profiles in both of my Microsoft Surface devices as "Private" and that allowed the computers to appear.

It may have been a fluke and this may or may not have any bearing on this particular issue. Still...something that might be worth spending a couple of seconds to check. 🙂

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you sure that when you using wireless that you are connecting to your network and not some else's network?

taylor

Yes my network.

0 Likes
taylor

I plugged it in directly to router and name was visible.  Then on WiFi it also showed up but now gone.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@taylor wrote:

I have a laptop connected to my Fios wifi.  If i plug it in with ethernet, it will show up and I can manage it.

Once I use if purely via wifi, the laptop does not appear under Connected Devices even though it is connected.

What can i do to fix this as I need to manage this laptop in my Fios for content protection and blocked hours?

Have brand new router and fios extender.

Thanks in advance.

This is just a normal answer I always like to try before all the other posts.  

Go into your fios app or into your router and turn off self organizing network (SON) this setting causes more wifi issues than it helps. Even non fios routers have this function. 

Hope my suggestion helps?

taylor

Thank you - I loathe SON and I have it off already.  Lol / anything else to try?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is not recommended to use MyFios app or website to manage your LAN devices. Your network information gets passthrough to Verizon server first, then to your phone again. I believe this information transit is unnecessary and introduces more potential for error.

Can you go to your router's Administrative web interface and configure your LAN from there?

taylor

The laptop is not showing up there either even as it is connected.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

What router do you have? A G3100?

taylor

Yes G3100

0 Likes