Connecting Actiontec MI424WR Rev I router to the Quantum FIOS router
KEFCOPREZ

I recently upgraded to the Quantum router and want to connect the old router to it to extend the range of the wireless network. I was told by the support tech I could do this, but did not get any detailed on how.

What is the proper way to connect and configure the two together? and how do I get into the old router since I have used the same IP address to log into every router I've had since I got DSL service.

Thanks for any help with this

0 Likes
Re: Connecting Actiontec MI424WR Rev I router to the Quantum FIOS router
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

See this guide: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15984 . You'll definitely want to make sure you use Coax as your source for the connection. Wireless repeating is ill advised.

0 Likes
KEFCOPREZ

Thanks for the reply. They told me to just plug the old router into the new with a patch cable as if I was connecting a computer.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@KEFCOPREZ wrote:

Thanks for the reply. They told me to just plug the old router into the new with a patch cable as if I was connecting a computer.

You can bridge the 2 routers via coax or ethernet.  It's your choice.  The previous poster pointed you to a doc that does it via coax. and the Verizon people told you, sort of, how to do it with ethernet.

If you do it via ethernet you need to basically do the same stuff as the moca connection such as a static ip address for the router, turning off the dhcp server etc.

Alternatively you can also go the route of a secondary subnet.  In that case configure the old router to use a subnet other than 192.168.1 and then connect an ethernet cable from a lan port of the new router to the wan port of the old router.  That will give you a second ssid from the old router.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Keep in mind that if you create a separate subnet, any devices on that subnet will not be able to use the FIOS app to control STBs.

Not certain, but also may act as an out of house network as far as watching channels via the FIOS app.

0 Likes