Connecting Airport Express using Actiontec M7424-WR Ver D router
bomartwo
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have unsuccessfully tried to connect my Airport Express so I can play my music library from my laptop through my stereo using AirTunes. So far calling Verizon hasn't been helpful. Problem 1 switching to WPA or WPA2. (Airport works best using these settings) I could not find the network on my Acer (Windows 7 OS) laptop. So I guess I need some advice to make sure I'm doing this correctly.

2-If I get that solved, I'm assuming I can download the Apple AIrport software and the rest should be fairly straight forward. Somehow that never seems to be the case with Windows. Any suggestions here?

Thanks

Re: Connecting Airport Express using Actiontec M7424-WR Ver D router
Shamika_VZ
Contributor - Level 3
Hello,

In reference to changing the settings from WPA or WPA2. When you log into the router are there any options to change the setting? I sent you a private message to further assist you.

Shamika_Vz
Verizon Support

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supersede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

0 Likes
Russ545

I am having great difficulties getting my Airport Express to connect with my new FiOS router that has a red (bronze) stripe. In speaking with Verizon support and ActionTec support I am being told the Airport Express has the same IP address as the ActionTec and thus I need to change the AE IP address so that the last 2 digits are different, i.e., change the last 2 digits from 1.1 to 2.1. Really??? What are the odds that the AE has the same IP address??? DOes this sound right. My AE was working fime with my previous FiOS router.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Are you setting the AE for bridge mode?

If so, the AE should obtain an IP address from the Actiontec that does not conflict.

If you're not setting the AE for bridge mode, you need to do one of two things.

If the connection is Actiontec LAN to AE WAN, the AE LAN must be a different subnet from the Actiontec.  i.e. 192.168.2.x

If the connection is Actiontec LAN to AE LAN, the AE needs an IP address on the Actiontec subnet (192.168.1.x) that is different from the Actiontec (e.g. 192.168.1.2) and the DHCP server in the ARE needs to be disabled.

@Russ545 wrote:

What are the odds that the AE has the same IP address???

192.168.1.1 is a very common address for routers.

0 Likes
Russ545
I am using the AE wireless to stream music through my stereo. I am receiving an error that says, 'unexpected error message, please try again'. I have already confirmed the problem is not with the AE. In talking with AppleCare they said the router assigns an IP address to the AE so they cannot be the same. There is something in the router blocking the AE from connecting. Is there a way to reset the ActionTec router to factory settings? I am at my wits end on this issue so please help me resolve this or I guess I will have no choice but to return the AE which will suck.
0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Russ545 wrote:
In talking with AppleCare they said the router assigns an IP address to the AE so they cannot be the same.

Not necessarily true.  There are two sides to a router.  A LAN side and a WAN side.  If not in bridge mode, the WAN side will requirest a DHCP address from the Actiontec.  That does not prevent a possible condflict on the LAN side.

Russ545 wrote:
Is there a way to reset the ActionTec router to factory settings?

Yes, there is a reset button on the back of the router.  It is recessed and requires a paper clip or pencil to press.  Hold it in untill all the lights on the Actiontec go out.

0 Likes