Connecting Cisco WRVS4400N router with Actiontec Rev E
bito1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

I just had a FIOS installed in my home. I need some help in setting up my Cisco router with Verizon Actiontec Rev E router. So here what i want to do. The Cisco router that i have already has all the settings in there which i was using with DSL before getting the FIOS. The Cisco router has an IP address of  172.16.5.1 and it is set to hand out IP to all my machines automatically. Now what i want to do is to connect my router with actiontec router and i want my router to hand out IPs to all my mchines on the subnet 172.16.5 like it was doing before. I'm little confused on how i go about doing it interms of the ethernet connection and the changes that i need to make on Verizon Actiontec as well as my own router. I've searched a lot and i still can't find any solutions. I called Verizon but they said they Actiontec routers don't support third party routers which i know is not correct. Also, spoke to Actiontec technical support and they said that someone from Verizon should be on the line. I don't know what to do now. I'll appreciate if someone can post instructions here so i can set it up. Thanks

Re: Connecting Cisco WRVS4400N router with Actiontec Rev E
Hubrisnxs
Legend

There are several ways to connect it in the way that you want. the only thing that I warn is if you have TV service.  Look at the chart on this FAQ and see which one applies to you the best.  Truthfully I would link the cisco to one of the LAN ports on the actiontec, let the actiontec do the WAN IP, and then treat your cisco as a node on it's lan, and then you can connect your other devices to the Cisco and the cisco can handle it's own dhcp etc.  If you have any Port forwarding situations, then I would give your cisco a static LAN address like 192.168.1.20 and then put it in the DMZ of the actiontec, so the actiontec will need NO port forwarding entries and your cisco will instead handle all the port forewarding and local dhcp that is behind it. 

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I second what Hubrisnxs suggested. Although, you shouldnt need to DMZ the router.

If you simply connect an Ethernet cable from the LAN on the Actiontec to the WAN on the Cisco, and then connect all your computers to the Cisco you should be good to go. That for all intents and purposes to your internal network would just treat the Actiontec like a modem and it should work just the way it did with DSL.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Only reason I suggest having it in the DMZ, is that I don't like doing "dual" port forwarding.  it's kind of redundant, and leads to problems later down the road.

0 Likes