Connecting FiOS Router to Netgear WN3000RP Range Extender
Mickey1952
Enthusiast - Level 2

I purchased a Netgear WN3000RP Range Extender and I am haveing trouble getting it to connect to my Verizon FiOS wireless Router.  Any Suggestions?

Mike

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connecting FiOS Router to Netgear WN3000RP Range Extender
SANMEH
Enthusiast - Level 1

I AM POSTING THIS HERE FROM ANOTHER POST. IT WORKED WELL FOR ME TOO

You sure can use the netgear extender WN2500RP OR WN3000RP with your verizon router.... just DONT follow netgear's instructions. After messing around for hours with no luck I tried this and it worked. IAM ADDING SOME MORE STEPS TO MAKE IT MORE EASY!

-UNPLUG NETGEAR EXTENDER FOR 10 SECONDS.

-PLUG IT BACK. USE A PIN OR TOOTHPICK TO PRESS THE RESET BUTTON(RESTORE FACTORY SETTING HOLE). KEEP PRESSING FOR COMPLETE 2 MINUTES-DO NOT MESS THIS UP!!

- AFTER THE POWER LIGHT TURNS GREEN, UNPLUG IT AGAIN. 

1) turn OFF your laptop's wireless connection. 

2) Connect your laptop VIA AN ETHERNET CABLE to the extender's Ethernet port and plug in the extender'S 1ST ETHERNET PORT(DO NOT PUT IN OTHER PORTS).

3) PLUG THE EXTENDER BACK - after the extender boots it will show two lights-POWER AND "1"

4) open your browser and it should take you right to the extender's genie. IF IT DOESN'T. TYPE

www.mywifiext.net

5) follow all the prompts using your Verizon router's id and password.

AFTER IT RUNS THE PASSWORD AT THE END IT WILL SAY ITS NOT CONNECTED TO THE NETWORK. JUST CLICK SKIP AND IT WILL RUN ANOTHER TEST AND AT THE END IT WILL GIVE THE NETWORK INFO.

THE TO EXT NETWORKS WITH YOUR NETWORK NAME SHOULD SHOW IN ANY OF YOUR OTHER WIFI DEVICES.. JUST CONNECT ONE OF THEM TO THE EXT NETWORK.

ONCE IT IS CONNECTED, CLICK CHECK MARK IN THE WIRELESS CONNECTION IS DONE LINE AND HIT CONTINUE. IT WILL PROMPT THAT INSTALLATION IS COMPLETE.

6) disconnect the Ethernet connection and turn the laptop's wireless back on

YOU AR GOOD TO GO. 🙂

Good luck

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1
0 Likes
videkov

I'm also having trouble connecting my new Netgear WN3000RP Range Extender.

Note that this is a WIRELESS range extender, so the response that someone already posted showing how to connect a WIRED range extender is worthless. The instructions for the Netgear device specifically state that it does NOT work as a wired device.

If my current device from Verizon is incapable of handling this range extender, is there a newer device available from Verizon?  I have model MI424-WR.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the way my range extender works, is It has software and I plug in my ssid and wep key from my verizon router, and then the range extender works.  I don't have to make any changes to the verizon router, because the verizon router doesn't care that it's range is being extended.  it simply puts out wireless - it's the range extender's job to grab that signal and extend it.

SO

you want to make sure that you have the right wireless info, and you want to make sure the range extender is not too far and can actually reach the actiontec.

If you have not changed Wi-Fi Settings (SSID or Wireless Key) in your Verizon Router, then you can get those settings from the sticker on the back of your Router. The sticker would look something like the sample image below.

SSID is the name of your network

and WEP is the password for your network.

If that info doesn't match what you think it is, then you can make sure by clicking this link.  It will automatically retrieve your correct wireless info based on your Verizon Username and Verizon Password (same password and username, that you view your bill and your email with)

click the following link

Retrieve your Wi-Fi Security Key

0 Likes
UncleMunkle
Enthusiast - Level 1

You sure can use the netgear extender with your verizon router.... just DONT follow netgear's instructions. After messing around for hours with no luck I tried this and it worked.

1) turn OFF your laptop's wireless connection

2) Connect your laptop to the extender's Ethernet port and plug in the extender

3) after the extender boots it will show two lights

4) open your browser and it should take you right to the extender's genie

5) follow all the prompts using your Verizon router's id and password

6) disconnect the Ethernet connection and turn the laptop's wireless back on

Good luck

yodabutt

Thanks for the post. This was the only way I could get my extender to work after almost three days going crazy.

Thank You

0 Likes
timmyv805

Worked like a charm!

0 Likes
armypilot441

Thank you so much for the advice.  I was ready to take it back.

0 Likes
gatorsrule1
I need to connect my Netgear wn3000rp wireless extender to my Verizon westtell 9100em router so my Nest thermostat can pick up the wireless signal, how do I accomplish this task?
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gatorsrule wrote:
I need to connect my Netgear wn3000rp wireless extender to my Verizon westtell 9100em router so my Nest thermostat can pick up the wireless signal, how do I accomplish this task?

Check the manual for your range extender. Most include a quick start guide that requires visiting a web page hosted on the extender and punching in your network information, similar to connecting a laptop or other mobile device to the Wireless network.

0 Likes