Connecting Panasonic TV to FIOS internet
Not applicable

I have a Panasonic G25 TV.  Its Viera Cast feature, when hooked up to the internet, allows access to certain websites, including (later this summer) Netflix.  When I bought my TV, I had another cable service, and the hookup, with an ethernet cable, worked fine.  I switched to FIOS, using the same hookup, and the TV says it can't find the router's IP address.  Another device (an LG Blu-Ray) has no problem getting hooked up to the internet, using the same cable I was using to connect the Panasonic.  Does anybody know whether there's a Panasonic-FIOS issue preventing me from connecting?  (I have tried rebooting the ONT and resetting the FIOS router.  Nothing has worked.)

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connecting Panasonic TV to FIOS internet
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am suspecting a bad connection  on the TV ... that's why I need for you to see if you're getting link on the router without the bridge or anything else in the middle (the bridge would bring up link on it's own without the TV connected, so that's not a legitimate test).  Can you temporarily run just a straight ethernet cable from the router to the TV to test?

Are you comfortable with logging into the router?  If so, when set for DHCP, do you see the TV pickup an IP address from the router (network settings).   If you're not sure how to check or you don't see an address, give the TV a manual IP address (ip 192.168.1.222, netmask 255.255.255.0, router 192.168.1.1, dns 192.168.1.1) and then try to "ping" that address (192.168.1.222) from a computer also attached to your home network.   Does that work?

If the latter doesn't work, there is a connectivity issue with the TV to the router -- we need to figure that out first.

View solution in original post

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is there a configuration menu on the TV for network?   If so, can you tell us what settings are available / and what they are presently set to?

0 Likes
Not applicable

The options are:

IP setting mode ["Automatic for DHCP (recommended) or manual to enter IP, subnet and gateway") and DNS setting mode ("Select Automatic when DHCP can be used or Manual to enter DNS settings manually").  Both are set to Automatic.

I tried setting both to Manual and entering what I understood to be the router's IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, primary DNS and secondary DNS.  That didn't work either.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Interesting ... so do you know which LAN port this cable is connected to on your router?   When you connect /. disconnect the cable from the TV, what happens to the port light on the router associated with the port the TV is connected to?

0 Likes
Not applicable

It's a little more complicated in that the cable goes from one of the LAN ports on the router to a bridge and then to the TV.  The bridge isn't the problem:  (a) my Blu-Ray is hooked up the same way and works, and (b) I tried it without the bridge and got the same result.  But to answer your question, I've tried a couple of the LAN ports on the router with the same result.  (The light corresponding to the port is on while the bridge is connected and goes off when it's disconnected.)

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am suspecting a bad connection  on the TV ... that's why I need for you to see if you're getting link on the router without the bridge or anything else in the middle (the bridge would bring up link on it's own without the TV connected, so that's not a legitimate test).  Can you temporarily run just a straight ethernet cable from the router to the TV to test?

Are you comfortable with logging into the router?  If so, when set for DHCP, do you see the TV pickup an IP address from the router (network settings).   If you're not sure how to check or you don't see an address, give the TV a manual IP address (ip 192.168.1.222, netmask 255.255.255.0, router 192.168.1.1, dns 192.168.1.1) and then try to "ping" that address (192.168.1.222) from a computer also attached to your home network.   Does that work?

If the latter doesn't work, there is a connectivity issue with the TV to the router -- we need to figure that out first.

Not applicable

Thanks very much for your help.

I tried connecting the cable directly from the router to the TV (without the bridge).  The light on the router blinks rapidly (just as it did when the bridge was connected). 

I will try the second suggestion.  Can you tell me how to ping the address?

Many thanks.

0 Likes
Not applicable

It worked!  The manual settings seem to have done the trick.  Many thanks for all your help.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Great.  For some reason it would appear that the TV is not properly requesting a DHCP address.   If the manual settings are working, then I'd leave it like that.  The IP address I chose as an example for you to use should be sufficiently out of the way of anything to not cause any conflicts.

0 Likes
jsteele2

I am having the same issue as the person who began this thread and upon manually entering all of the IP and DNS information the connection test fails when it tries to connect to the internet.  It is able to validate the IP but can't make it past that step.  Do I need to make canges to the router?

HELP!

0 Likes