Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.

Connecting a second modem/router to me dvd playery?

jjiderr
Contributor
Contributor

Connecting a second modem/router to me dvd playery?

Message 1 of 5
(7,173 Views)

I would like to hard wire my dvd player in the basement because I cant run wire to it and the wireless signal is weak. I have tried a booster but it isnt fast enough. I currently have the ultraline router in my computer room and bought a motorala surfboard sb5101 to put in the basement. Fios tech support said I just have to split the rg6 cable and send one to the tv and one to the motorola. Then wire that to the dvd player. Simple enough. It never is. I cant get an internet connection from the modem. I dont know much about them but do I have to change the ip address to match the ultraline? Thanks for the help.

4 REPLIES 4
BrianMcD
Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III

Re: Connecting a second modem/router to me dvd playery?

Message 2 of 5
(7,160 Views)

@jjiderr wrote:

I currently have the ultraline router in my computer room and bought a motorala surfboard sb5101 to put in the basement. Fios tech support said I just have to split the rg6 cable and send one to the tv and one to the motorola.

The Westell Ultraline Router used by Verizon for FIOS uses a Coax Connection from the ONT.  It communicates with the Set top boxes over the Coax Cables in your house using MOCA.

The Motorola Surfboard is a Cable Modem for use with ISPs like Comcast and can not be used with FIOS.

You need a Motorala NIM-100 or a 2nd Westell or Actiontec Router to hard wire the DVD player.

Some additional information can be found here:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking#15984

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.
jjiderr
Contributor
Contributor

Message 3 of 5
(7,150 Views)
Thanks. I wish verizon had told me that in the first place so I didnt order the modem.
jjiderr
Contributor
Contributor

Message 4 of 5
(7,149 Views)

Which one would work better? I see I can get a used actiontec for around $35 and a nim100 for $68. Thanks.

BrianMcD
Silver Contributor III
Silver Contributor III

Message 5 of 5
(7,129 Views)
I would go with the Actiontec since it is cheaper.  It will also give you more lan ports.
If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.