Connecting a second router to G1100
IWKY321
Enthusiast - Level 1
Hello, I just got fios a few days ago. I'm not liking the router because of it's range. Before fios I had a better router. Which I keep in my room. So, how do I get the **bleep** thing to work. I connected a cat5 cable from the G1100s WAN to my routers WAN.

Should I plug it to a LAN on my router instead? Do I have to call Verizon to tell them to enable ethernet or change some settings of the router? I tried searching but I'm at a lost. Whats the difference. I do have fios TV, so I want all of that to be working. If it matters I have the Asus RT-AC68U with tomato firmware.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connecting a second router to G1100
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@IWKY321 wrote:
Hello, I just got fios a few days ago. I'm not liking the router because of it's range. Before fios I had a better router. Which I keep in my room. So, how do I get the **bleep** thing to work. I connected a cat5 cable from the G1100s WAN to my routers WAN.

Should I plug it to a LAN on my router instead? Do I have to call Verizon to tell them to enable ethernet or change some settings of the router? I tried searching but I'm at a lost. Whats the difference. I do have fios TV, so I want all of that to be working. If it matters I have the Asus RT-AC68U with tomato firmware.

Simplest is to configure your router to be a subnet other than 192.168.1 and then connect a lan port of the gateway to the wan port of your router.

View solution in original post

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@IWKY321 wrote:

Simplest is to configure your router to be a subnet other than 192.168.1 and then connect a lan port of the gateway to the wan port of your router.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

But if you do that, you will not be able to use the FIOS app as a remote control as it needs to be on the same subnet.

If you want to do that, need to turn second rotuer into an access point.

Generic way to do that is to turn off DHCP in yuor second rotuer.
Connect lan port of Gateway to Lan port of second rotuer.

Turn on its wireless and off you go.

IWKY321
Enthusiast - Level 1
Thank you both. I got enough information from you two to figured it out. It's now working perfectly.
0 Likes
Eagle66

know i'm late to this particular party but just want to ensure I have it all right.  make my router (ASUS AC3200) an access point...and...create another subnet other than 192.168.1 for the ASUS, then connect the LAN port of the G1100 to a LAN on my ASUS.  Finally turn on the ASUS wireless and it's done?....

so new subnet can be anything thru 255 doesn't matter what?

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over four years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes