Switch Account

Connecting a switch to a quantum gateway

Connecting a switch to a quantum gateway

Contributor TMURQUHART
Contributor
Message 1 of 6
(2,495 Views)

I would like to know if the quantum gateway can be connected to an ethernet switch. I have run out of interfaces and I would like to connect the gateway to a 16 or 24 port switch. Please advise on if it can be done and how it can be done.

5 REPLIES 5
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 2 of 6
(2,482 Views)

@TMURQUHART wrote:

I would like to know if the quantum gateway can be connected to an ethernet switch. I have run out of interfaces and I would like to connect the gateway to a 16 or 24 port switch. Please advise on if it can be done and how it can be done.

I am a mite puzzled. If you have no working internet what good would a switch do?

you must have a router to obtain DNS so it would be ONT-Quantum Router WAN-switch ( in one of the available LAN ports on the router.

i have not seen a switch that connected directly to the ONT or internet but I am a little out of the mix. 😀

Highlighted
Gold Contributor V Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V
Message 3 of 6
(2,480 Views)

Sure. One of your lan ports on your router will go to any port on the switch all though I prefer to connect my lan port of my router to the last port of the switch for easy identification. Make sure you get an unmanaged switch and there will be no configuration required. Just plug and play. 

Gold Contributor V
Message 4 of 6
(2,459 Views)

One other note make sure the switch you get also has gig ports because there are 10/100 switches that will bottleneck anything that is plugged into them. 

Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 5 of 6
(2,403 Views)

@Edg1 wrote:

Sure. One of your lan ports on your router will go to any port on the switch all though I prefer to connect my lan port of my router to the last port of the switch for easy identification. Make sure you get an unmanaged switch and there will be no configuration required. Just plug and play. 

That was a good suggestion. I place my switch on lan 1 (mine are marked)

Gold Contributor V
Message 6 of 6
(2,390 Views)

Thanks. Labeling is always a good practice. Can save a lot of time when troubleshooting. 

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.