Connecting access point in garage far from house
Prereq
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am trying to connect a TP-link N300 as an access point to my Gateway G1100. The N300 is located in my detached garage approximately 200’ from my home so I need to maintain WiFi in the house with the G1100. I have a CAT6 cable run from the house to the garage to link the two devices. 

The N300 set-up guide says to connect the router’s WAN port to “your wired router’s Ethernet port”, sign on to the N300 and select Access Point and follow the instructions on the webpage. When I do this, I get an orange light on the N300 which means “Access Point Mode: The WAN port is not connected.” 

I do not get a green LED on the G1100 when I plug in the CAT6 cable. I assume this could mean there is a bad connection in the cable (either in the end fittings or a broken wire in the cable somewhere). Is there anything I should check in the G1100 settings? If it is just a bad cable, what else do I need to do to make this all work? 

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connecting access point in garage far from house
jonjones1
Legend

@Prereq wrote:

Thanks for your response. You say I should have an Ethernet connection from the ONT to the G1100. Right now I have a MoCA connection. Does that matter or should I switch it to Ethernet?

Thanks again!

Ethernet would be preferred. Verizon now does ethernet installs for their internet.

it takes only a phone call to 1-800-VERIZON to ask them to switch out.

even with ethernet your original coaxial to your verizon router can stay if you are using tv. If not using tv service you can use any router and ethernet connection.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

This is the way it should be done.

ethernet connection from the ont to your primary g1100 verizon router. In the WAN port.

take your ethernet cable and plug into your first LAN port connection. Then take the other end and plug into your personal routers WAN port (not the LAN port) 

it is then you should have access from the wifi on your TP Link.

it is advisable to unplug the verizon router and count to 10 plug back it.

it should now function.

Good place to get instructions is here

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

Prereq
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your response. You say I should have an Ethernet connection from the ONT to the G1100. Right now I have a MoCA connection. Does that matter or should I switch it to Ethernet?

Thanks again!

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Prereq wrote:

Thanks again!

Ethernet would be preferred. Verizon now does ethernet installs for their internet.

it takes only a phone call to 1-800-VERIZON to ask them to switch out.

even with ethernet your original coaxial to your verizon router can stay if you are using tv. If not using tv service you can use any router and ethernet connection.

Prereq
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your help! It turned out my initial problem was a bad cable. I swapped it out and followed your simple instructions and had the Internet up and running in the garage/workshop in under two minutes. Very happy to have it sorted out!

jonjones1
Legend

Very happy to help. Now enjoy that great service 😀