Connecting two Actiontec routers
thrashem
Enthusiast - Level 2

I need more wired connnections for my growing number of computers and BluRay players with internet connections, so I contacted tech support, and was told I could "bridge" two routers, so i have bought a second router...now how to connect?  I read elsewhere that I could just turn off the first router and all devices connected to it, then run a cable from one of the four outlets to one of the four "outlets" on the second router.  Then, power up the first router, let it go green, then power up the second router.  It sounds like this option will actually only increase my wired connections to 6 rather than 8, but if that's how it goes, then that's how it goes.  I have several devices in my house that connect wirelessly as well.  Will I have a problem with the two routers, as both have wireless connectivity...that is how will devices know what router to connect to, and does it matter?  To throw another monkey wrench into the blender, my housew was prewired with Cat 5 wiring  and cable running into a "box" in my closet.  It has places for multiple devices to plug in, but when V erizon installed their original router, the basically went around my box, so that the Coax running to it, is connected directly to the Actiontec router, as is the Cat 5 wire that was connected to my "box".  All existing connections are made at the Actiontec router.  Shouldn't I be able to use my "box" that I paid thousands for when my house was built?.  Thanks for any help...I am not a techie by any means.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connecting two Actiontec routers
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Gonna agree with the previous posters ... just buy a switch.   Switches have no configuration and are simply plug and play.

Something like this would do the trick handily ...

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Unmanaged-Auto-Negotiation-Auto-MDIX-TEG-S80G/dp/B001QUA6RA/ref=sr_1_...

There are cheaper units (with fewer ports) and certainly tons of other manufacturers as well as sources for purchasing the from.   But basically, you're looking for a "Network Switch" (not a router, just a switch).

View solution in original post

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should purchase a switch with however many ports you think you might need, they come as 4.8.16 etc.  Then connect one of the VZ router lan ports to the switch and your done.

If you already purchased a router then configure the new router to be other than 192.168.1  for example 192.168.2 - do this by connecting a machine directly to the new router and use the router admin functions to change the subnet.  Once you've done that connect a lan port from the VZ router to the wan port of the new router.  If you need still more ports the get a switch as said above and connect it to one of the routers

Hubrisnxs
Legend

A switch is truly the best way to go. They are pretty cheap and require no configuration. Like the other poster said you can simply change the ip of one of the routes. So router 1 would have internal ip address of 192.168.1.1 and router 2 would have 192.168.x.1. (x can be any number other than 1)

You will be double nat'd and that may present a problem if you have torrent users or heavy gamers.

You can also just turn off the functions of one of the routers you would go into the router interface. You can google dslreports and how to bridge actiontec mi424. They have a good walk through there.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Gonna agree with the previous posters ... just buy a switch.   Switches have no configuration and are simply plug and play.

Something like this would do the trick handily ...

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Unmanaged-Auto-Negotiation-Auto-MDIX-TEG-S80G/dp/B001QUA6RA/ref=sr_1_...

There are cheaper units (with fewer ports) and certainly tons of other manufacturers as well as sources for purchasing the from.   But basically, you're looking for a "Network Switch" (not a router, just a switch).

thrashem
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks...I do already have the router on the way, but I can al;ways keep it for a backup to the one I have.  I just bought the TrendNet switch suggested in another reply, so I will go that route.  Do I run one a patch cable from one of the LAN outputs of my router to the WAN input on the switch?  Then connect my BluRay players to the LAN inputs of the switch? 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

The switch will not have LAN and WAN, only LAN. Any port should do.

thrashem
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did click on the "solution" button, and left Kudos for all of those responding...hopefully all got properly input.  As for your answer, I just run a patch cable from the router to any of the eight available ports, then plug my new BluRay players into any of the remaining ports, and all should be good?  Thanks

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Thank you that is just my signature. I am glad you found a solution and just though I would answer your last question. That signature is on every post I make. A few people use that signature with a different color so it does not look like part of the post. I have found it gets more attention if it does look like part of the post. As confusing as it may be. Perhaps I should change it back to a different color..Smiley Wink

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Connect any LAN port on the router to any available port on the switch and you're good to go.   Anything hooked to any port on the switch or to any of the other LAN ports on the router will all be able to see each other and talk to the Internet.   No configuration is necessary -- just plug the switch in and hook up a cable between it and the router and you're ready to roll.

thrashem
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the info...just got the switch today, and will report back.

0 Likes