Connection Interrupted Issue with Select Websites
Dreyzzyn
Enthusiast - Level 2

This problem started within the last few weeks.  I am unable to connect to the website, and those hosted by, theplanet.com (70.87.6.117).  Specifically I need access to www.sfpguild.com (174.133.65.82 ) which always returns the connection interrupted error.  I can gain access through the use of a proxy server but unable to access through my computer. tracert always times out at the hop before connecting to the actual website  (po1.car02.hstntx1.theplanet.com [207.218.223.6]).

Is anyone able to access these websites, or is this a localized problem on my side?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connection Interrupted Issue with Select Websites
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1

Unfortunately I think you might be getting hit with an IP that is on a Bogon list.  I recently found myself sometimes getting a new 173. ip occasionally.  I hadn't had one before since I went to fios.  Anyway -- let me post some info from wikipedia:

--

"Bogon" is an informal name for an IP packet on the public Internet that claims to be from an area of the IP address space reserved, but not yet allocated or delegated by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) or a delegated Regional Internet Registry (RIR). The areas of unallocated address space are called "bogon space".

Which are reserved for private networks.[2]

Many ISPs and end-user firewalls filter and block bogons, because they have no legitimate use, and usually are the result of accidental or malicious misconfiguration. Bogons can be filtered by using router ACLs, or by BGP blackholing.

IP addresses that are bogon today may not be bogon tomorrow. IANA and other registries frequently assign new address space to ISPs. Announcements of new assignments are often published on network operators' mailing lists (such as NANOG) to ensure that operators have a chance to remove bogon filtering for addresses that have become legitimate.

The IANA maintains a list of allocated and reserved IPv4 netblocks. [3]

--

Alright, so this is where the interesting part starts.  These IP address are blocked by networks because of various reasons (ie known malicious ip addresses).  Welp, this list changes all the time and updates are sent to all network providers which allow them to update their list and not cause any problems with users trying to access their network/content.

Welp, that would be a perfect world.  Unfortunately it isn't.  I am leaning toward the owners of the sites you are trying to goto haven't updated their list.  If Verizon was given a new block of IP addresses and they (site you are trying to access) just didn't happen to update them, you wouldn't be allowed to route into their network.  You would be blocked.

Verizon might be able to contact the network and inform them you are being blocked.  It is pretty obvious that your internet is working completely fine since you can access all other sites.  It is just the smaller networks that tend to not update the list as much.

Another option is to try to contact the site vendor themselves and let them know what is going on.  Eventually they will update them, just not everyone is on top of things as other people.  If you goto this site, http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp , you can type in the website you are having issues with and it will bring up their contact info.  That should definitely help you out instead of trying to forge a way through google or whatever search you want to try.

Final option is trying to see if your router can pull one of the older IP addresses.  You might be able to unplug the router for a whole day or so and see if it might retrieve a different one. 

Sorry -- didn't feel like editing this because I'm pretty tired today.  Let me know if you have questions.

View solution in original post

MisterEd

The sites you list work fine for me here in Northern New Jersey via FIOS as of the time of posting this message.

0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1
Working fine for me here.  What IP address does your router have.  Kind of curious about something.
0 Likes
Dreyzzyn
Enthusiast - Level 2
173.58.147.15 is the IP of my router.
0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1

Unfortunately I think you might be getting hit with an IP that is on a Bogon list.  I recently found myself sometimes getting a new 173. ip occasionally.  I hadn't had one before since I went to fios.  Anyway -- let me post some info from wikipedia:

--

"Bogon" is an informal name for an IP packet on the public Internet that claims to be from an area of the IP address space reserved, but not yet allocated or delegated by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) or a delegated Regional Internet Registry (RIR). The areas of unallocated address space are called "bogon space".

Which are reserved for private networks.[2]

Many ISPs and end-user firewalls filter and block bogons, because they have no legitimate use, and usually are the result of accidental or malicious misconfiguration. Bogons can be filtered by using router ACLs, or by BGP blackholing.

IP addresses that are bogon today may not be bogon tomorrow. IANA and other registries frequently assign new address space to ISPs. Announcements of new assignments are often published on network operators' mailing lists (such as NANOG) to ensure that operators have a chance to remove bogon filtering for addresses that have become legitimate.

The IANA maintains a list of allocated and reserved IPv4 netblocks. [3]

--

Alright, so this is where the interesting part starts.  These IP address are blocked by networks because of various reasons (ie known malicious ip addresses).  Welp, this list changes all the time and updates are sent to all network providers which allow them to update their list and not cause any problems with users trying to access their network/content.

Welp, that would be a perfect world.  Unfortunately it isn't.  I am leaning toward the owners of the sites you are trying to goto haven't updated their list.  If Verizon was given a new block of IP addresses and they (site you are trying to access) just didn't happen to update them, you wouldn't be allowed to route into their network.  You would be blocked.

Verizon might be able to contact the network and inform them you are being blocked.  It is pretty obvious that your internet is working completely fine since you can access all other sites.  It is just the smaller networks that tend to not update the list as much.

Another option is to try to contact the site vendor themselves and let them know what is going on.  Eventually they will update them, just not everyone is on top of things as other people.  If you goto this site, http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jsp , you can type in the website you are having issues with and it will bring up their contact info.  That should definitely help you out instead of trying to forge a way through google or whatever search you want to try.

Final option is trying to see if your router can pull one of the older IP addresses.  You might be able to unplug the router for a whole day or so and see if it might retrieve a different one. 

Sorry -- didn't feel like editing this because I'm pretty tired today.  Let me know if you have questions.

Dreyzzyn
Enthusiast - Level 2

I contacted Verizon and the owners of those domains.  They said they would look into the issue. Hopefully this problem will be resolved soon!

Thank you very much DzWR.

0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1
Np, hope everything works out 🙂
0 Likes