Connection Issue - 940/880 Mbps plan - Getting 40/96 Mbps
wakasm
Hello.   Have had Verizon Fios for less than a year.  When we first moved in, I was getting expected speeds.  This past month, I have not.    I have tested wired, from my router directly (it has it's own speedtest functionality built in), and using the official fios speed test.

This is the most recent test from the official verizon speedtest results. 

Your Fios subscribed speed up to: 940/880 Mbps
Your device speed: 40/96 Mbps

I am using my own Router (Linksys WRT 1900ACS) which is more than capable of proper speeds. Router is fully up to date firmware-wise.  

What can I do to fix my internet speeds?  I have tried all the recommended solutions on here - including removing my entire network and then testing + rebooting my router.   

In less than a year I am losing 70% of my speed for no reason, and at this point, my connection was faster on a Comcast 200 plan.  
0 Likes
Re: Connection Issue - 940/880 Mbps plan - Getting 40/96 Mbps
jonjones1
Legend

Your device speeds are not guaranteed nor is any other test other than the Fios Quantum Gateway Router G1100 connected to a ethernet wired laptop or desktop to the router. After you test at the verizon speedtest site it will show much higher speeds.

no customer owned router other than the Fios Gateway can access the verizon Fios speedtest site.

also wifi is not accepted as speedtest 

JC-NYC
Enthusiast - Level 3

What speed to you get at fast.com ?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@JC-NYC wrote:

What speed to you get at fast.com ?

It makes no difference what speeds the poster gets from fast.com

verizon only accepts their speedtest from their proprietary network. Which only works from their router. Not anyone elses. 

Verizon also will not troubleshoot anything from their ONT to your customer owned router. Since verizon will claim it is getting 940/880 up to speeds

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

This sounds like you have a bad Ethernet connection somewhere, that is causing you to get a 100Mbps Fast Ethernet link instead of Gigabit. Double check your wiring, and makes sure your router is reporting a Gigabit link between the ONT and itself, and a Gigabit link between your PC and itself. If you see 100Mbps, try another cable, and make sure your PC has a Gigabit NIC.

The second part is, make sure you have disabled any and all QoS on your Linksys router. WMM on the Wi-Fi side can and should stay enabled, but Internet QoS or Internet Prioroty limits should be shut off.

wakasm

I tested the router, I tested with WMM on, QoS on off, I set the max cap for all devices for 1000Mbs, and nothing changed, wifi or wired. 

The next step is I have now removed the router from the equation.  I have linked up my computer directly from to the ethernet connected directly from the box.    I have both a desktop and a laptop, both are which are capable of gigabyte speeds (and as a reminder, I was getting gigabyte speeds when it was first installed on these same devices). 

When I use my laptop, and check the network status, it is showing as 100/100 instead of the usual 1000/1000 that you see if plugged into the router.  

I am still getting these or similar results using all 3 tests (verizon - fast - speedtest) 

Your Fios subscribed speed up to: 940/880 Mbps
Your device speed: 90/105 Mbps

(at jon jones, please don't respond saying that Verizon won't troubleshoot unless using a verizon router, etc etc.  If that ends up being the case - great, I'll just switch ISP's then.  I used to get better speeds months ago so clearly something is wrong). 

I don't know how to test the speeds between the ONT and itself, and the PC and itself.  The ethernet comes from outside of my house the way it's set up (they literally drilled a hole in my wall and I only have access to one end of the ethernet).  So I am not sure how I can swap out the ethernet. 

Would there be any other recommendations?  Should Verizon come troubleshoot and does this sound solvable?
0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

https://m.wikihow.com/Use-Your-Own-Router-With-Verizon-FiOS

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Using-your-own-router-with-Verizon-FiOS/td-p/851632

Well best of luck if you switch providers. I don’t post inaccurate information.

these are the facts.

1) verizon routers are the only routers that can use verizons official speedtest site.

https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/ 

2) you can run a speedtest to any other site with your own personal router like a Asus or Netgear or any other brand but YOU CANNOT RUN A SPEEDTEST TO THE VERIZON SPEEDTEST SITE. It only accepts their own routers.

3) verizon lists 940/880 up to speeds, and if you use their router call 1-800-VERIZON and tech support will test from their location to the verizon router. If the rep says the speeds are what they should be then its your setup or systems. If not ask them to check your provision speeds and have them fix it.

4) On many help sites it is stated if you use your own router no support from the ONT to your home. Just up to the ONT. Verizon will tell you the same thing. A phone call will enlighten you. Obvious reason is verizon wants to make money on sales or rental fees. They are not like cable where they support other makers devices.

lastly you can buy a second hand Quantum Gateway Router and use that for troubleshooting issues. I myself use a Netgear Nighthawk but i purchased verizons router to test if something goes haywire.

by the way QOS and WMM should be set to off. Some people say its better others don’t its just a way to personal preference.

i would recommend you visit http://www.dslreports.com and select the verizon fios forum and maybe you might get assistance there.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 So let us get this straight: You get 10/100/1000 when connected to your router and get only 10/100 when bypassing it?

@wakasm wrote:

The next step is I have now removed the router from the equation.  I have linked up my computer directly from to the ethernet connected directly from the box. 

#2 What is the box?

Like, it's brand and model number - please.