Connection Issues With Actiontec MI424WR and Xbox Live
TheRealWhensley

Hello there.

We recently switched to Verizon FiOS. We also have a family member get an Xbox Live Gold account and Battlefield 3. When playing online, however, he gets disconnected every 30 minutes or so from the server (not from Xbox Live itself). He can go back into the game almost immediately, but it is a hassle and he unfortunately loses stats. We have tried a wireless adapter, moving it closer with the adapter, and connecting it through a wired connection, but the disconnect continues to happen.

We talked to Verizon about it, and were shipped a new router (the old one was a Westell I believe). The new router is a Actiontec MI424WR Rev. F. As stated before, the disconnect happens approximately every 30 minutes regardless of distance or use of wireless/wired connection.

We have tried various solutions found online, but most seem to rely on older technology. At this point, the router is back to its default settings, and I am searching for other solutions. I wanted to see if anyone else on these forums is having or has had the same issues and what solutions you can offer. I can offer other details as needed.

0 Likes
Re: Connection Issues With Actiontec MI424WR and Xbox Live
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

From what you are describing, it's an issue with the battlefield 3 servers. If it was a problem with your internet connection or router, then you would be disconnected from Xbox live completely. You would contact Xbox support to get their  support on this.

0 Likes
anonymous24356
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry, but I have the exact same problem.  It is not a problem with Battlefield's servers as it is actually affecting all online games...and it is not affecting 15-20 neighbors who are FIOS customers.  When a neighbor hosts a game online, only my connection fails.  When I host a game, it fails for everyone.  When I am not in the party, nobody has a problem

I have FIOS connected to the router via coaxial cable.  I've had FIOS for 6 years without a single problem.  Then 1 month ago my kids reported that when playing Xbox Live they are "lagging out" and having to turn the xbox on/off.  The Xbox is connected via CAT5.  Also, when a laptop, iphone or ipad are connected via wifi, the connection is lost and a reboot of the device is required.  I did factory resets and every other suggested step to no avail.  Through it all, my desktop that is connected to the router via CAT5 experienced no problems.

I contacted VZ several times and they sent a new router.  Things looked better for 1 day, now it's actually worse.  The problems now affect the desktop's connection.  Sporadically, all internet connectivity is lost.  I then have to reboot the router.  However, after rebooting the router, any device trying to connect to the internet, via CAT5 or wifi, gets an "invalid IP address" type of error message.  I have screenshots at home which I'll add later.

Extremely frustrating, esp when contacting customer service as they go through the same script - reboot router, send a signal.  Factory reset modem, send a signal.  After that, they have no suggestions and simply try to get you off the line

0 Likes
AnnieS1
Contributor - Level 3

Hi brett611,

It appears that your issue is being handled through our private support portal. Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue on your private support case as the support agents will not see the public boards.

Regards,

AnnieS

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

For other users out there, this is an important step. 

In addition you want to be aware that hardwired connections always perform better than wireless.
and if you are using wireless on the gaming system, then your problem could be wireless interference.  
0 Likes
Aces813

I am having the exact same problem with my connection to xbox live as well. Although when I lose connection it is to both xbox live and the game. I also im tired calling Verizon just to hear the same routine from someone clearly not qualified to handle my problem (I have a Verizon rep on the phone and he told me that the humidity in the Florida air will cause my router to restart sometimes...what a joke).

I feel: I have waited for a resolution long enough, been kind, been willing to miss work or cancel plans to accommodate Verizon, but to no avail.

0 Likes
anonymous24356
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks Annie, but VZ's website does not allow me to proceed so I am in limbo.

I received an email stating my case got a response.  However, clicking the links in the email bring me to a page stating my post has been deleted.

If I search and find it, the response was to direct me to link to fill in my contact info and describe my problem.  I did all of that & hit submit, only to be brought to an error page.  What next?imageimage

0 Likes
AnnieS1
Contributor - Level 3

brett611,

I'm going to send you a PM with the link.

AnnieS

0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Hi brett611,

You will need to make sure you are signed into your forum account before clicking on the link to your private support case.  If you are not signed into the forums, you will get the "Page not found" error that you posted.

Thanks

0 Likes