Connection lost on device power off
sturdy2
Enthusiast - Level 2
Hi all, I've been a reasonably happy FIOS internet user for a couple of years with several home devices using WEP security and a Verizon M1424WR-GEN2 router. Recently I had to change from WEP to WPA2 to connect a new notebook that refused WEP. Now every time I power off a device (TV, printer, etc.) it refuses to reconnect next time I power on. This never happened with WEP. I've tried everything I can think of and spent two days trying to fix this issue but can't find a solution. It is really a **bleep** to reenter the password every time I power on the TV! Can someone please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance. Best regards, Sturdy2
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connection lost on device power off
sturdy2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem solved and it was not the TV. Problem was the M1424WR-GEN2E router which seems to have a WPA2PSK issue. I borrowed a Cisco router to test with and the TV reconnected properly. I then chatted with a Verizon tech for over an hour. Finally, s/he agreed to send a new router and I will return the old. The new router (M1424WR-GEN3I) came the next day by UPS with a prepaid return label. All is good. Thanks Verizon.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
That's a very interesting and unusual behavior. Is it just the TV that did that and what brand and model?
0 Likes
sturdy2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Hubrisnxs,

Thanks for the response. I've been playing with this for three days and think I've finally narrowed the problem to the TV or wifi dongle. It is a Samsung UNC46C7000 and has always worked when I was using WEP security.  But there seems to be a problem with the WPA2.

I originally thought it was a router issue and I didn't have something set correctly but everything is now DHCP and all other devices connect/reconnect properly after a power off or router reboot. The TV still fails. I also have a Samsung Blueray player that acts properly with WPA2 so it looks like the TV or dongle. Unless you have another idea I'll next check with Samsung tech spt. I don't see a firmware other other update.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

That was my first thought. If I find a firmware update I'll share it here but their support should have fast access to it

0 Likes
sturdy2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem solved and it was not the TV. Problem was the M1424WR-GEN2E router which seems to have a WPA2PSK issue. I borrowed a Cisco router to test with and the TV reconnected properly. I then chatted with a Verizon tech for over an hour. Finally, s/he agreed to send a new router and I will return the old. The new router (M1424WR-GEN3I) came the next day by UPS with a prepaid return label. All is good. Thanks Verizon.

0 Likes