Connection resets every few minutes some times
Pete755

I have two computers one wired and one wireless.  While I am browsing web sites, my connection resets or something.  I have to do an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew and then I can refresh my browser pages and everything is back.

When the problems happens web sites hang while opening...  Is this related to the NAT table on the verizon router? 

Can a NAT table be cleared like "ipconfig /flushdns"? 

Before I involve tech support, I just want a better idea aobut the problem...

0 Likes
Re: Connection resets every few minutes some times
prisaz
Legend

@Pete755 wrote:

I have two computers one wired and one wireless.  While I am browsing web sites, my connection resets or something.  I have to do an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew and then I can refresh my browser pages and everything is back.

When the problems happens web sites hang while opening...  Is this related to the NAT table on the verizon router? 

Can a NAT table be cleared like "ipconfig /flushdns"? 

Before I involve tech support, I just want a better idea aobut the problem...

Does this only happen on the wireless connection, or both?

The NAT drops connections over time, the table will fill up and then as connections are no longer used, they are dropped. I do not know the firmware routine for this but suspect with only two PCs, this may not be your problem. If you are running pear to pear and or games, I could see where it might be an issue. Releasing your IP address and renewing it may be clearing the table for the IP address is not used when released.

Pete755

The computers aren't running at the same time. 

My verizon ActionTec router is Rev D.

Usually I can have up to 2 browsers open with a total of 10 active tabs.

No Peer/Peer or gaming going on.

Peter

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I had a similar problem where every so often a tab would open but was unusable and when I closed it all the browser windows closed, it appears to be an add on issue

I ran the browser with no addons like this

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"  -extoff

and as it appeared to have cleared up the issue went and removed all addons on the machine.  Have been gradually adding the addons back over the last couple of months and the problem hasn't reoccurred yet.

0 Likes
Pete755

I am using Firefox and Maxthon both with very few add-ons.  I only use IE to get Windows Updates.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Pete755 wrote:

The computers aren't running at the same time. 

My verizon ActionTec router is Rev D.

Usually I can have up to 2 browsers open with a total of 10 active tabs.

No Peer/Peer or gaming going on.

Peter

#1 Question are you running these over wireless or hardwired to the router?

I do not believe it is a peer to peer issue. It sounds more like wireless issue. There were also a number of reported issues with Vista dropping the wireless connection when the connection was set to public and not private. The setting can be changed in the network connection and sharing center. But if you change the connection, make sure you change it back when connecting to public access points.

I am just guessing at this, but here is a link to the releated Vista wireless posts.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?location=Board%3AFiOS_Internet&q=vista+wi...

0 Likes
Pete755

I have a wired and wireless computer, both running Windows XP.  This morning the problem has happened, and I am on the wired computer.

I found a few services and processes running that might be at fault.  CISCO/Pure Networks monitor, I removed a couple weeks ago but a process was still running.  Verizon's In-home agent, I stopped that.   So far I seem to be ok.

Peter

0 Likes