Connection speed drops significantly when using VPN
mpoten

My connection speed (validated via SpeedTest) is at 35MBPS when connected to my home WiFi network using a Verizon supplied ActionTec router.  When I run Cisco Anyconnect VPN, the connection speed drops to 0.2 MBPS.

I have been in other locations on WiFi (not using Verizn FIOS) and the connection speed does not degrade at all. 

This leads me to believe there is something wrong with the VPN and Verizon....  

Any thoughts??

0 Likes
Re: Connection speed drops significantly when using VPN
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you use a VPN, your speed is only as good as the VPN server and the network behind it.

I use Cisco Anyconnect to VPN into my employer's  corporate network.  It's slower than a direct connection to the internet because the corporate  network doesn't give me as fast a connection to the Internet.  This is because the corporate network has lots of firewall and bandwidth management stuff between the internal and external networks.

I suggest you work with your VPN provider to determine why it's so slow.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
In my experience is rare that your speed didn't suffer when using A VPN. vpn's are heavily encrypting your traffic and manipulating your DNS and the routes you take while on the Internet. Web browsing normally suffers the most. Your degradation seems minimal based on those results
0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

How can someone say his speed was drastically impacted?   35 to less than 1.

I run all my traffic on a VPN and my reduction is never more than 5%.

Running a VPN on an underpowered router may result in a 50 % reduction but this is nothing like the OP's reduction.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I read it backwards, I thought he was saying it drops .2   not that it crumbles down to a .2.

Rereading that, and understanding that your are getting that LOW of speed, I would definitely try different vpn servers (vpn's normally offer more than one selection) and even different vpn services as a test.

They shouldn't be dropping that low.   Or I Would call/email/chat the VPN company

0 Likes