Re: Connection speed on one Actiontec router port limited to 10Mbps
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

It sounds like it's time to bite the bullet and call Verizon tech support.  They may be easily willing to send you a replacement Actiontec...maybe a later version.

You could probably have the replacement in two days and I'm guessing that you'd be done with your problem(s).

prisaz
Legend

Have you tried to do a complete reset of the Actiontec Router? Reseting the router back to default settings. Something could have just gotten whacked out. Tech term, whacked.

I am sure before a new router is sent, they will have you do this.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@sherwooa wrote:

Thanks.  I'm not trying to be difficult, but it seems the issue is not with the laptops.  I tried forcing the setting to 100 Mbps full and half duplex on both, and it doesn't connect to these ports.  Only at 10 Mbps, and even at that, it sometimes has trouble getting an IP address.  When I connect the laptops to other segments of the network (i.e. off of a router upstairs wired to one of the other Actiontec ports, I get 100 Mpbs).

When I try connecting a wired bluray device to one of the original ports in the Actiontec it can't even get an IP address at all.  I am stumped.

This tells us a lot, it tells us that the actiontec can succesfully negotiate a 100mpbs connection.  

Try taking the ethernet cable out of the wan port on your router upstairs and plug that directly to your laptop.

so far this looks like a ethernet cable issue OR a LAN port issue on the actiontec.  

And let me just recap to make sure we are all on the same page.

Please correct me if I have anything backwards or jumbled.

You have a actiontec that can do 100mb (proven when plugged into the router upstairs)

You have a router upstairs that is doing 100mb wired

When you connect to the router upstairs, your pc gets the 100mb,

When you connect to the actiontec directly, your PC gets 10mb.

You may have bad ports on the actiontec, so try either doing like i described above, or go downstairs to the actiontec, and plug into the same port that your router is using. (if your upstairs router is plugged into number 4, then plug your laptop to number 4)      4 being a made up number, obviously I can't tell where you plugged your router into. 

sherwooa
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yup...sounds like it's time to give them a call.  I've tried resetting all the routers a few times, but not resetting to factory settings.  Will call them and be reday to try that next.

sherwooa
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks.  Your recap is correct.

I don't have the anything connected to the WAN port on the upstairs router.  Everything is connected to an ethernet port on the router as all of my non-Actiontec routers are basically acting as switches.  I am essentially connected straight through the upstairs router already, and getting 100 Mbps wired.

When I connect directly to ports 3 & 4 in the actiontec, I get 10 Mbps, and the bluray gets no IP address at all.  I have yet to try switching to ports 1 and 2 where my upstairs router is, but if ports 3 & 4 don't work, then something has to be wrong with the router ports, or it's limiting speeds in some way.

On the phone with tech support now and it looks like a new router is on the way to me.  Hopefully that will address the issue!

If not, I'll be back in this thread tomorrow! Smiley Sad

Thanks for the suggestions!

Hubrisnxs
Legend

lol.  yes  -  its probably the ports on the router,  they may have gone bad.   Best of luck to you, let us know how it goes 

prisaz
Legend

One thing you need to be sure of. Log into each of the seperate routers and make sure their LAN address is different than the Actiontec. Even though DHCP may be disabled on those routers, and the WAN is not used, there could be an IP conflict between the routers. I am using a few routers like switches, and you should be able to login to each one with a different address, including the Actiontec.If anyone of the routers has the same IP the Actiontec may issue an IP but will conflict as the default gateway and cause other issues.

Just another idea.

0 Likes
sherwooa
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yep, I can log into each router separately.  I tried resetting the Actiontec to factory settings, by the way, and it made no difference.  I hadn't changed much of anything on it anyway, except the port config.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@sherwooa wrote:

Yep, I can log into each router separately.  I tried resetting the Actiontec to factory settings, by the way, and it made no difference.  I hadn't changed much of anything on it anyway, except the port config.

Cool. Router Broke.Smiley Sad

0 Likes
sherwooa
Enthusiast - Level 3

'well, after all that, it appears it's not the router that was the problem. Swapped in a new Actiontec, and I'm still having the same problem.  I just don't get it.  Most of the other wired devices can get a 100 Mbps signal, except the ones I'm trying to attach.  If I connect through one segment's router, it works at 100 Mbps.  But when I try to connect to another segment router (to which other wired devices are connected at 100 Mbps), it doesn't.  When I try to connect directly, it doesn't go beyond 10 Mbps.  I can force it to 100 Mbps, but the Full/Col light on the Linksys router won't light up, and the bluray still can't even get an IP address at all.  And the laptop can successfully auto-negotiate 100 Mbps on the upstairs router with no trouble at all.

This makes no sense at all.  There has to be something going on with my network config/setup...

0 Likes