Re: Connection speed on one Actiontec router port limited to 10Mbps
prisaz
Legend

OK. This may have been asked before, but if you unplug both Linksys routers will the laptop connect at 100?

If it the laptop will connect at 100 with both of the other LAN to LAN routers disconnected, try plugging in each of the other routers one at a time to see it it is one of them, or both of them causing strange issues.

Also make sure there is nothing else connected to the other Linksys routers if they are causing the issue. Then see if the problem goes away.

This will narrow down where the problem is located It could be something unrelated to the Actiontec as you have found.

Please post model information of the Linksys routers.

How is DHCP disabled on the Linksys Routers?

Are there any Plug and Play features that may be enabled in one or both of the Linksys routers? Other devices on the network could be causing the Actiontec to behave strangely.

We should be able to get to the bottom of this issue, but we need to narrow down exactly where the problem is coming from. Please provide information for the Linksys Routers, and respond to the advice posted.

0 Likes
sherwooa
Enthusiast - Level 3

I need to do more disconnecting and connecting, but I tried these steps:

I tried unplugging everything else from the Actiontec (the other two Linksys BEFSR81's and a network hard drive) , and just connected the laptop directly via cable, and I only got 10 Mbps.  I tried connecting the bluray player directly as well, and it won't even connect!

I then plugged back in to the Actiontec the cat 5 cable running upstairs to my Linksys WRT160N router, took the same laptop upstairs and plugged it into the Linksys WRT160N and I got 100 Mpbs.  This is the with laptop NIC set to Auto-detect.

When I plugged back in one of my Linksys BEFSR81's to the Actiontec, three other wired devices connected at 100 Mbps.  However when I tried to connect the laptop to the BEFSR81, it only got 10 Mbps, and the bluray player could not connect at all. 

DHCP is disabled through the standard router interface page on each Linksys router.  For the most part, I set the option "Local DHCP  Server" to "Disabled".  UPnP is enabled on some of the routers but not all.  Not sure what UPnP does though?

At this point I'm thinking I may just get a Wireless N bridge and plug the blu ray player into that.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

some nic's won't negotiate at 100 full mode.  so if you haven't tried 100baseT or 100 half mode try that.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Ok if the Laptop does not get 100 with everything else disconnected from the Actiontec, then we have to figure that it is the Actiontec. If the laptops negotiate 100 on other devices when hardwired. Even though you were sent a new router, make sure it is not running the latest flakey firmware. You may have router firmware issues.

What hardware revision is the new router and what firmware does it have?

If you are running

4.0.16.1.56.0.10.14.0 with the automatic update enabled. Disable automatic updates, and it may have issues other than port forwarding.

Downgrade your router firmware by using firmware restore. If that is not possible you can download the latest supported working firmware file from Verizon. Or call tech support for them to downgrade your firmware. This is the latest revision stored on the Verizon site. From what I have heard the 14.0 has issues with port forwarding that support various features such as DVR remote access, and caller ID. As noted the 14.0 version is shown in red on the Actiontec site for a reason. http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/Current_Firmware_Versions.pdf It has BUGS.

File name 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.12.3-MI424WR.RMT This is the version that I am running and it works fine as shown.

Download the file to your PC and try to restore the previous version. Or as I said contact support if you are concerned with doing this.

http://www2.verizon.net/micro/fios_router_update/

You can load the router firmware from a file stored on your local computer by choosing Upgrade from a computer in the network. And choose the file from your local drive. Like I said, "If you are not comfortable with doing this, please contact tech support". http://www22.verizon.com/content/contactus/

Ignore the part that says go to upgrade.actiontec.com. Use the router update link provided above, and get your upgrade from Verizon. They know what works and will provide the best possible solution.

sherwooa
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks.  Unfortunately, I'm running the version that's suposed to be good (12.3), not version 14.0.  That's what was running on the old Actiontec router as well.

Regarding trying 100BaseT and forcing half duplex - it really doesn't make sense if I can connect at 100 Mbps full duplex when connected to another router.  And the core issue here is really that I can't connect the bluray player.  I'm just using the laptop because it's easier to test with than the bluray player.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@sherwooa wrote:

Thanks.  Unfortunately, I'm running the version that's suposed to be good (12.3), not version 14.0.  That's what was running on the old Actiontec router as well.

Regarding trying 100BaseT and forcing half duplex - it really doesn't make sense if I can connect at 100 Mbps full duplex when connected to another router.  And the core issue here is really that I can't connect the bluray player.  I'm just using the laptop because it's easier to test with than the bluray player.

Wow this is strange. I am going to really have to think about this one. Have you looked at the port settings on the advanced router menu and or tried to lock the port there? Should not be required if set to auto.

prisaz
Legend

Here is a clip of all my ports at full duplex. The routers do work. Not likely you have two routers with the same issue. You have something else going on, unrelated to the Actiontec. Possibly as suggested your laptop configurations are just not properly negotiating or able to provide full duplex. Your BluRay player may be a totally different issue. Can your BluRay player operate properly at the other locations?

sherwooa
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, my ports look just like yours for the ones at full duplex, except for the one that won't connect at 100 Mbps.  It doesn't matter which port I plug into, it will always drop to 10 Mbps.

The blu ray player does work at another wired location, off of one of the Linksys routers.  However, when I try to connect the cable for the upstairs outlet (where I'd like the blu ray player to go) to the linksys router, and then connect the blu ray to that outlet, it doesn't work.  I have tested the cable with a net tester and it comes up fine.  That's what started me testing all this in the first place.

Bizarre, no?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@sherwooa wrote:

it doesn't make sense, but I can tell you from experience that I have spent hours on problems that could have been resolved with a couple mouse clicks.   so if it's not even worth trying then IDK.  I can tell you that the hours thing was very conservative, and I have had people come to me after spending weeks on end with a problem that was fixed within minutes.  so alot of this is process of elimination 

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@sherwooa wrote:

Yes, my ports look just like yours for the ones at full duplex, except for the one that won't connect at 100 Mbps.  It doesn't matter which port I plug into, it will always drop to 10 Mbps.

The blu ray player does work at another wired location, off of one of the Linksys routers.  However, when I try to connect the cable for the upstairs outlet (where I'd like the blu ray player to go) to the linksys router, and then connect the blu ray to that outlet, it doesn't work.  I have tested the cable with a net tester and it comes up fine.  That's what started me testing all this in the first place.

Bizarre, no?

Bizarre, yes.  I've been following this thread and scratching my head because what you're experiencing doesn't make much sense.  However....

If your end goal is to have the blu-ray player located where you want it, and hardwired to a 100 mb/s connection, how about giving up on connecting directly or indirectly to a port on the Actiontec router.  Instead, get an ECB2200 MoCA adapater, split the cable going to the TV where the blu-ray player will be, and install the MoCA adapater there.  Feed the blu-ray player from the 2200's Ethernet port.

That should give you plug-and-play 100 mb/s Ethernet at that location without solving the mystery of the universe. Smiley Wink

0 Likes