Connection to FIOS without a Verizon router
melodeus1

I'd like to start a discussion to share information for those who want to connect to FIOS without a Verizon router.

I know it's simpler to connect a 2nd router to the Verizon router but why run 2 routers when one would work (I don't use FIOS TV)

I've a got a new router the Netgear R6300 to get better wireless coverage then the old verizon router.

The connection was not plug & play so i called the customer support. They insisted that i use the Verizon router. 

I finally was able to get the rep give me the DNS server.  Even after i put the DNS server information it would not connect to FIOS. i figured that it is needed to set the MAC address of the Verizon router into the new router and Voila!

hope it helps.

0 Likes
Re: Connection to FIOS without a Verizon router
prisaz
Legend

@antheo wrote:

I'd like to start a discussion to share information for those who want to connect to FIOS without a Verizon router.

I know it's simpler to connect a 2nd router to the Verizon router but why run 2 routers when one would work (I don't use FIOS TV)

I've a got a new router the Netgear R6300 to get better wireless coverage then the old verizon router.

The connection was not plug & play so i called the customer support. They insisted that i use the Verizon router. 

I finally was able to get the rep give me the DNS server.  Even after i put the DNS server information it would not connect to FIOS. i figured that it is needed to set the MAC address of the Verizon router into the new router and Voila!

hope it helps.

I have never heard of needing to use the MAC address of a Verizon router. Now if your connection is PPPoE you would need to enter the username / password, verizonfios / verizon/fios works. I have used everything from a PC direct connect, a Linux PC as a router, and various other manufactures routers connected to the Ethernet port on the ONT, with no issues. The IP gets sent along with the DNS settings on the WAN. Now some have chosen to to used alternate DNS servers other than Verizon. I have heard that if you have DHCP and not PPPoE, you may need to get them to release the IP, but I believe that is if you are only trying to get a different address on the same router.

0 Likes
beshannon
Enthusiast - Level 3

I use the Netgear R6300 connected to the Actiontec modem.

Search the net, you just need to turn off the wireless router portion of the Actiontec and bridge the connection.  I am not sure how you could directly connect the R6300 to the coax and have it work, you still need a modem

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Do I have to use the supplied router with Verizon FiOS?

The Actiontec and Westell routers used by Verizon support either coax or cat5 connection to the ONT. Verizon's standard installation is to use coax between the ONT and the router. 

If your WAN connection between the ONT and the primary router is coax, you will not find any retail versions of routers available that support the MoCA standard. To use a different primary router, you will need to get the WAN connection switched over to Ethernet, or bridge your router through the Actiontec.

Internet only 
If you are getting only FIOS internet, you can request a cat5 install from the ONT to the router. Running cat5 instead of coax from the ONT to the router is up to the installer. The tech will install the Actiontec in order to verify that everything is working correctly. Once the installer has verified that you are receiving your provisioned speeds, you can replace the Actiontec. When swapping out your primary router be sure to release your WAN DHCP lease or you may have trouble acquiring a new WAN DHCP lease. 
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How do I release my DHCP lease 

FIOS-TV and Internet
Since FiOS set-top-boxes rely on the MoCA LAN for guide data, widgets and VOD, most alternative configurations include the Actiontec in a secondary role as a MOCA bridge for TV service.

The Pros/Cons of a number of possible configurations for connecting your own router are detailed in the FAQ:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

You may find Verizon unwilling to provide support unless you reconnect the Actiontec as the primary router. Of course, you can post your question in the »Verizon Fiber Optics forum.

Some older routers may not be able to support FiOS' higher speeds. For example, some users have discovered a 16-17 Mbps limit with the Linksys WRT54G using third party firmware.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@antheo wrote:

hope it helps.

make sure you RELEASE the current lease before diconnecting the VZ router.

Then you can use any router you feel like so long as your ONT is provisioned for ethernet connection.

prisaz
Legend

@beshannon wrote:

I use the Netgear R6300 connected to the Actiontec modem.

Search the net, you just need to turn off the wireless router portion of the Actiontec and bridge the connection.  I am not sure how you could directly connect the R6300 to the coax and have it work, you still need a modem

Actually the Actiontec is a router, and not a modem. I was not aware that you were still wanting to use the Actiontec based on your original post. Like the information @Hubrisnxs has provided, you don't have to use the Coax WAN, but can have the ONT switched to Ethernet. Unless you wish to use the MOCA COAX to your Actiontec location and then use your router.

0 Likes