Connection to server was reset trying to load chowhound.chow.com forums via FIOS
HokieAnnie
Enthusiast - Level 2

I occasionally read and post to the forums on chow.com but going back to 12/19/2014 and shortly after the folks at www.chow.com resigned their forums, I have been getting curious the connection to the server was reset messages in Firefox and this page cannot be displayed in I.E.  I have also not been able to access these forums using my android phone when it's connected to my FIOS wifi (unable to connect to website message) but able to access the forums using my phone when not connected to my FIOS wifi.   The parent website chow.com loads fine.

My computer is running Window 8.1 but I also tried getting to chowhound.chow.com via my old laptop using window 7 and it also failed to connect to chowhound.chow.com.  It's gets even more curious in that when I clear my browsing history from I.E. I'm able to access the forums including dynamic content but once I log in with my username and password, the server is blocked for me.  NOTE:  I post there sporadically but politely, so I don't think I'm being blocked for being a troll 🙂

I posted queries to chowhound via my phone to see what was up -- my username isn't blocked on chowhound and other FIOS users (unclear if they are local to me or not) said they were not having my problem but one lone FIOS user said they were (could this user be local to me?).

Any ideas on further troubleshooting this? It's not like the world will end if I can't get to chowhound's forums but it's bugging me and I want to be able to troubleshoot something like this if it happens in the future.

0 Likes
Re: Connection to server was reset trying to load chowhound.chow.com forums via FIOS
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you using any sort of plug-in like HTTPS Everywhere or an Antivirus suite to force SSL encryption?

0 Likes
Re: Connection to server was reset trying to load chowhound.chow.com forums via FIOS
HokieAnnie
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for a response --- I kept checking, gave up and went out of town for a training class for work.  I'm using Ad-block plus on Mozilla but I don't think that's the issue because I tried to get to the website via explorer and no adds, my old computer running windows 7 and my andriod smart phone, all using my FIOS wi-fi connection -- all were unable to connect to the chowhound forums.  My andriod phone however was able to connect to the forums when I wasn't using my FIOS wi fi.

So I'm doubtful an add is blocking chowhound.

0 Likes