Connections have been dropping 5 to 8 times a day for the last week
Amberdee
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just recently our connections have been dropping about 5 to 8 times a day for the last week. 

Normally we do not have any issues, as we have had FIOS for many years.  It used to be

maybe once a month we would lose connection.  But recently it has become a daily presence.

Going to college on-line and this happening when I'm taking a test is very flustrating.

I would like to know why the sudden increase in drops as nothing has changed on my end,

same computers same TV same phone.  We live the the north TX area.

PS... almost every link I try to go to in the Verizon Web support pages gives me

"Bad request

Your browser sent a query this server could not understand."

Is this because they require you to use Internet Explorer.. Well I dont

use internet explorer and never will.

0 Likes
Re: Connections have been dropping 5 to 8 times a day for the last week
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I use three different browsers

• IE
  • Chrome
  • Firefox

I even use IRON and Safari on occasion, they all work pretty flawlessly, if you have them upto date

@Amberdee wrote:

Just recently our connections have been dropping about 5 to 8 times a day for the last week. 

Normally we do not have any issues, as we have had FIOS for many years.  It used to be

maybe once a month we would lose connection.  But recently it has become a daily presence.

Going to college on-line and this happening when I'm taking a test is very flustrating.

I would like to know why the sudden increase in drops as nothing has changed on my end,

same computers same TV same phone.  We live the the north TX area.

PS... almost every link I try to go to in the Verizon Web support pages gives me

"Bad request

Your browser sent a query this server could not understand."

Is this because they require you to use Internet Explorer.. Well I dont

use internet explorer and never will.

Do you connect wired or wireless?

If it's wireless then you probably have some new wireless interfer that has been introduced in your vacinity either by you or a neighbor.  Apt's and Dorm's are really prone to this. 

Download InSSIDer and it will tell you all the different wireless's in the area that could be messing with you, and then use it to determine which channel is best for you.

Follow these instructions to change your wireless channel to lessen interference. 

open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it. Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel  1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.  after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

Also take a look at page 2 of Actiontec's Wireless PDF File.  It gives you some idea's with regards to position and orientation of where the router sits and how it can best be positioned for maximum coverage.

http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/MI424WR_Rev(all)_Wireless_Networking_Guide.pdf

0 Likes
jwake
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been having the same problem, was fine last week this week it keeps dropping the connection, figured it might be my wireless card but no dice. I don't have to reset the router it will eventually pick back up but it is more than a bit irritating when you are gaming and you get connection issues. I am also in N Texas.

0 Likes
TheRic
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had issues over the last week too, but I'm up in NYC.  Try using ethernet and see if that works, it did for me.  Also ping the router, 192.168.1.1, I was getting lots of time outs and very long ping times when connected wireless.  For me, switching from 802.11 compatibility mode to performance mode fixed it on my main laptop, but now my 'wireless g' laptops can't connect.

I posted a similar topic here:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/FIOS-802-11-compatibility-mode-issues-with-MI424WR-GEN2/t...

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If the problem is exclusively wireless, then it doesn't matter where you are statewise. It matters where you are in your house and how yourneighbors wireless devices impact your connection, and environmental factors like double paned windows double insulated walls, baby monitors and cordless phones in your home.

etc.   you might be able to fix the problem with the above steps, or moving your router to a better spot in your home, or getting a wireless N router either from Verizon or from a retailer like amazon.com

0 Likes
jwake
Enthusiast - Level 2

Worked fine last week, router in the same spot, same channel, no new outside interference. 

0 Likes
TheRic
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here too...router is 10 feet away in clear sight, nothing has changed except one day it was massive time outs and long ping times.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Wireless is wireless.   It is like a radio.   you really don't know what would affect a radio.  If you really think that "isn't" the problem, then drop by a local verizon store and pick up a new router.  

At least you can rule out if it's the Verizon router or not.

And if you hardwire a connection and it works fine then you know it's not the Verizon service itself. 

If it's not the router, and it's not the verizon service, then it's the wireless issue.  

0 Likes
jwake
Enthusiast - Level 2

again i say, fine last week, this week not. so i need to go spend more money to fix the problem? good answer.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

I told you a lot of possibilities.  

all of them but one was FREE

Even replacing the Verizon router at a local store.  They do that as a free over the counter exchange.  you take them the old one, they give you the new one.

even steven.  

0 Likes