Connectivity Problem
jim11662418

Here's my setup. I have a Verizon Quantum Gateway Router (G1100) on the first floor and a Verizon Network Extender (WCB6200Q) in the basement. Both the router and network extender use the same SSID and password. My wireless printer is connected through WiFi to the router on the first floor. My Windows computer is connected through WiFi to the network extender in the basement. 

Here's my problem. My computer in the basement is not able to connect to the printer on the first floor. I can't ping the printer, nor access the printer's internal web server, nor print from Windows. I believe that the printer is configured correctly. My iPad and my iPhone (both connected to same router as the printer) are able to access the printer's internal web server. The printer shows up as connected on the  router's "My Network" page. I can ping the printer using the "Test connectivity" button on the router's web page. If I disconnect my computer from the network extender and connect instead to the router, I can access the printer correctly.
I have other devices connected to the router none of which can be accessed by my computer when connected to the network extender.

Am I correct in thinking that I have two subnets, one through the router and one through the network extender even though the router and network extender use the same SSID? When looking at available networks using my computer's WiFi card utility application, the SSID from the router and the SSID from the network extender show up seperately (even though the SSIDs are the same).

How can I get devices connected to the Router to communicate with devices  connected to the Network Extender? Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connectivity Problem
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should be able to ping each device.

From your windows PC, can you ping router, extender and printer?

If not can you ping the PC, extender and printer from the router?

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

To verify that subnetting is the issue, can you check ipconfig when connected to router vs when connected to extender?

jim11662418

After some experimentation I think that I may have stumbled onto the actual problem. Both the router and the network extender have 2.4GHZ and 5GHz radios. My connection problems occur when the wireless printer is connected to the 2.4GHZ radio on the router (802.11n) and my computer is connected to the 5GHz radio on the network extender (802.11ac). When my computer is connected to the 2.4GHz radio (802.11n) on the network extender, the problems disappear and I can successfully access the wireless printer's web server from my computer and Windows can successfully use the wireless printer. Is this by design? 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Shouldn't be.

Can you check the ip address and subnet info?

0 Likes
jim11662418

By the way, thanks for your help.

Router

IP Address: 192.168.1.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Network Extender

IP Address: 192.168.1.202

Windows computer

IP Address: 192.168.1.13

Wireless Printer

IP Address: 192.168.1.249

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should be able to ping each device.

From your windows PC, can you ping router, extender and printer?

If not can you ping the PC, extender and printer from the router?