Connectivity Question *PLEASE HELP!*
rgearon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all,

PROBLEM

I have an Xbox 360 in my bedroom, which is on the 2nd floor of my house. My FiOS Actiontec Router is on the first floor of my house. My Xbox 360 does not connect/recognize the router, which leaves me unable to connect to Xbox Live and therefore unable to play online. The path between the router and the Xbox 360 goes through one ceiling/floor and a few (not sure how many) walls. I'd say that they are easily only 20 feet apart, at most.

QUESTIONS

How can I increase the range of my signal to connect with my Xbox 360?

Can I move the router to my room, depite having no cable outlets (FiOS white cords) in my room?

Is it worth the trouble to try to run a 40+ foot ethernet cable to my room, without sacrificing speed?

Are there any reliable antennae that I can attach to my router to extend the range?

Preferably, I would like to move the router to my room, but understand the challenges associated with that task. Please enlighten me (and speak English 😉 ) as I am a "noob" with all of this router stuff.

Thank you in advance!

0 Likes
Re: Connectivity Question *PLEASE HELP!*
rgearon
Enthusiast - Level 2

On a semi-related note, how much is it to have a tech come and move the router/wire internet cables to my room? I'd assume this would come with the whole FiOS service (though lately, it woulnd't surprise me to see the opposite).

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Reason wrote:

Hi all,

PROBLEM

I have an Xbox 360 in my bedroom, which is on the 2nd floor of my house. My FiOS Actiontec Router is on the first floor of my house. My Xbox 360 does not connect/recognize the router, which leaves me unable to connect to Xbox Live and therefore unable to play online. The path between the router and the Xbox 360 goes through one ceiling/floor and a few (not sure how many) walls. I'd say that they are easily only 20 feet apart, at most.

Make sure your X-box wireless adapter supports WPA security. If it is a newer Actiontec That is the default security. WPA2 is recommended. Now if you have an older wireless adapter for the X-Box it may not support WPA or WPA2, thus not connect based on the SSID and security key affixed to your router. WEP is not secure at all, and it would be a crime in this day in age to call it security. Find out what your X-box adaptor supports. Or run Ethernet cable.

QUESTIONS

How can I increase the range of my signal to connect with my Xbox 360?

Purchase a wireless access point or router that may provide a stronger signal. Or try changing the wireless channel in use. Read this post regarding wireless connections. If it is not connecting at all, make sure you have the proper SSID and Key.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Why-your-Wi-Fi-is-slow/m-p/534451#U534451

Can I move the router to my room, depite having no cable outlets (FiOS white cords) in my room?

NO. Unless you have COAX to your room, "white cords" then you could relocate the router. But remember anything that was using Ethernet would lose the connection at the previous location. You could connect a MOCA adapter to the COAX that would provide an Ethernet connection. (MultiMedia Over Coax Alliance.) Provides the Internet Protocol over COAX.

MoCA Operates with IPTV, CATV and DBS.

http://www.mocalliance.org/

Is it worth the trouble to try to run a 40+ foot Ethernet cable to my room, without sacrificing speed?

YES. PULL AN ETHERNET CABLE.

That will only help your speed. My entire house is wired Gigabit Ethernet. My daughters X-Box is on the third floor, with my wireless routers being located in the walk out basement. I run everything hardwired Ethernet, with the exception of phones, tablets, or laptops. I would not expect to get great wireless speeds for use on the gaming console. If you have FiOS, run a hard wired connection to it and take advantage of the speeds you have.

Are there any reliable antennae that I can attach to my router to extend the range?

Someone else might answer this one. The newer routers Rev. I have two antenna connections, and I am not sure how that would work out. If you have an older router such as Rev. F of below, you may wish to contact support and tell them you are not getting decent speeds based on you level of service, and they may replace your router at no charge. If it is a Revision A through D, it would be a no brainier. They are trying to get the older routers out of circulation.

Preferably, I would like to move the router to my room, but understand the challenges associated with that task. Please enlighten me (and speak English 😉 ) as I am a "noob" with all of this router stuff.

If you relocate the router to your room, remember the Ethernet connections would all be in your room. Now if you have speeds above 75/35, like the 150/65, Verizon would have run Ethernet and COAX cable from the ONT to your router. Meaning you would need both at your new router location. ONT (Optical Network Terminal) the box usually mounted on the side of the house where your phone line come in.

Thank you in advance!

prisaz
Legend

@rgearon wrote:

On a semi-related note, how much is it to have a tech come and move the router/wire internet cables to my room? I'd assume this would come with the whole FiOS service (though lately, it woulnd't surprise me to see the opposite).

It would perhaps cost less to have an electrician run the Ethernet or Coax. I don't believe Verizon technicians will fish cables through walls and such. Perhaps they would staple cables along the baseboards.

You would need to consult Verizon in regards to their cost.

Or an electrician by the hour for Ethernet and coax cables terminated properly, and if you wanted them in the walls with wall plates, it would cost more, but you may have a cleaner more hidden installation. Verizon may only pull the cables exposed, and terminate the ends?

I have Ethernet and coax on wall plates at each of my desired locations. But I did the work.

rgearon
Enthusiast - Level 2
Ok, thank you for your help, both of you! It sounds like Ethernet is the way to go. I may have to end up hiring an electrician to run an Ethernet cable.

I'll report back when I've made some progress with Ethernet.
0 Likes
rgearon
Enthusiast - Level 2
Does anyone have any helpful DIY tips for running Ethernet through walls & between floors?
0 Likes