Connectivity gradually degrading, almost non-existent now.
NoCode0680
Enthusiast - Level 1

For the past month my internet connection has been getting gradually worse to the point of being completely useless unless I want to load and reload each web page.  Simply opening a web page makes the signal drop out.

At first the problem was only occasional, and it got worse and worse.  Finally I tried to do something about it and tried some of the usual solutions.  Unplugged the router and phones, reset the router, changed the channel, etc.  None of the hardware stuff appeared the be working, including trying a different wireless adapter.  

So I started to think maybe it was some malware or virus thing.  I ran some scans with about 10 different products, none finding anything more serious than cookies.  But viruses can hide, and since I have all my files backed up externally I just decided to formate and reinstall Windows.  Amazingly after doing this everything was fine for about 24 hours, no connection was dropped even once (in comparison to 5-6 times a minute before the wipe) but then it started up again.

I think it has to be a problem with the router (though I'm certainly no expert), because when it drops I go and look at available networks and my network is dropping entirely off the list while other area networks (none very strong) are still there.  Anything I do, from changing the channel to wiping the computer does add some temporary relief, lasting anywhere from 15 minutes to 24 hours, but it always winds up going back to being screwed up.  Which is what really baffles me.   

My router is an Actiontec M1424-WR Rev. C

0 Likes
Re: Connectivity gradually degrading, almost non-existent now.
Willnerd

I have a similar problem.  Thought it was the modem.  Replaced an old 8 year old modem in March.  Still having problems.  It usually starts when the sun comes up and gets better in the evening.

At this point I am thinking interferance from So Cal Edison smart meter that was installed last Dec. 2012.  Its still speculation.  I have not figured out how to test my theory without having the smart meter replaced.

0 Likes
Willnerd

I have a similar problem.  Thought it was the modem.  Replaced an old 8 year old modem in March.  Still having problems.  It usually starts when the sun comes up and gets better in the evening.

At this point I am thinking interferance from So Cal Edison smart meter that was installed last Dec. 2012.  Its still speculation.  I have not figured out how to test my theory without having the smart meter replaced.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Willnerd wrote:

It's valid speculation on that point though. There's been many reports about Smart meters causing Wireless issues for Wi-Fi devices. If your router is near the electrical meter (opposite end of the wall), move the router away from the meter. One room should do. Also, turn off the router's channel auto-scanning feature in case that's causing the router to jump to another channel when the meter is transmitting.

0 Likes