Connectivity issues Chester County
Steve1234

Suddenly having connectivity issues, whether I'm using wireless or cat5 directly into the modem.

This is happening on ALL computers in the house. Some websites, such as google, yahoo, load immediately. Facebook, CNN, need to be refreshed constantly in order to come up. Speedtests show ok, ironically. Will be in the middle of a download then it'll suddenly stop. Have flushed out brower cookies, cache, etc...all to no avail. Tried all browsers, problem is the same across all (Firefox, IE, Chrome).

Called into Fios, they say the problem lies within the computers, since they detect no problems.

All drivers have been updated and installed.

This is spotty, too - sometimes all sites will load immediately and I'll forget about the problems, then suddenly I'll be surfing and BANG - poor connection.

Had to refresh many times to even post this message - difficulty in connecting to this forum.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Connectivity issues Chester County
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the exact brand, model and ver of your FIOS router? For example Actiontech, MI-424-WI, D.

#2 What level of wireless security is the router set to? For example of two: WEP OR WPA

0 Likes
Steve1234

Brand - Actionec

Model  - MI424WR

Version - D

Not sure if its WEP or WPA - how would I check this?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am not saying what the problem is, but I will tell what I suspect the issue is.

Smal//Tiny NAT Table.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16233

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

J_Brian
Enthusiast - Level 1

Steve, I am having the identical problems. We have one wired VISTA machine, the rest are wireless XP SP3, VISTA 64, and Windows 7 PCs. We first noticed the extremely long page loads / waiting for reply messages about 2 weeks ago. At first, it was a minor inconvenience we were sure would just go away. It got better, so we forgot about it. Then it was back, but not all the time. One minute web pages are looked up and displayed at blazing speeds, the next, everything is crawling. Everything wireless, including our wifi iPod touches are slow. Typically pages on the little Safari browser, the App Store, App updates, and Apps that access web content are fast enough to be enjoyable. Lately, even these activities are frustratingly slow to the point of just turning the iPod off.

Paradoxically, speed tests on speedtest.net and others show 20/19 (for the Windows PCs), which is what we have averaged all along. The kicker and must frustrating part is knowing how fast pages should be loading vs how fast they are loading. Even the Google home page takes 5-8 seconds to load. Even with the larger than normal Olympics graphics on the page this week, Google should load in a second, tops.

I have contacted FIOS Tech Support twice in the past 3 days. The first Tech was knowledgeable, but condescending. If I am having an issue, it must be my fault -- a problem with my software/hardware caused by me. Or my neighbors must have some new 2.4GHz cordless phone, or I changed one of my networked devices from dynamic to static IPs.....  After 30+ minutes over a remotely controlled session, we tried the following:

1. Factory reset of router
  2. power cycle router
  3. install and run Verizon Home Agent
  4. Optimize network tool on #3 above
  5. Log on router, check settings
  6. change router's wireless channel from automatic to 6

After all this, he went to the SpeakEasy speed test and victoriously stated I now have 17/9 speeds. I reminded him that measured up/down speeds were never my issue. In fact, the measured speeds were now worse than they were before the tech call. All he could say is that if I'm on a wireless connection, I should consider myself fortunate to see 17/9. Before we hung up I went to a site that wasn't cached on my laptop and guess what? Insanely long page load. I asked the Tech if he agreed that 17Mbps should result in a fairly zippy experience on most web sites. He just asked if he could send me a survey.

The second call (2 days later) resulted in a friendly, but less knowledgeable Tech. We went through all six steps outlined above, except this time he changed the wireless channel to 11. He then proceeded to a tab on the router config page and hovered over the packets sent / received running counts. Get this. He changed the wireless channel back to 6, then changed it back to 11. He then hovered over the packets sent / received running counts again and said "watch this; these numbers are going to go up. Channel 11 is the best one for you."  Am I alone in thinking the sent/received numbers would go up if we simply waited 15 seconds and did nothing??!!

In similar threads on this forum, I see subject lines like "Mid-Atlantic DNS problem?" Also see others customers in VA who claim to have been told by "a friend in tech support" that the recent February east coast snow storms caused equipment damage that Verizon knew about and intended to fix.  The very first question I asked both Techs was "are you aware of any DNS issues, repeater issues, or reported trends of slow internet despite fast measured speeds?" Neither one had.

I guess all I can do is wait and cross my fingers that things will return to normal.

Steve1234

Thanks, J_Brian.

I thought I was losing my mind here. Called Verizon again, and again they blamed my PC. As soon as I mentioned "formatted my drive", they blamed the drivers for not being updated. I couldn't emphasize enough that its happening to ALL THE COMPUTERS IN THE  HOUSE.

To prove I wasn't insane, I had my neighbor log into my router and the same thing happened with his PC. Youtube would load instantly one minute, then a few minutes later die. CNN would magically appear....so we'd surf the site and within a few minutes a page would hang up, refreshing would show the load bar about 50% but thats it. Attempted a few downloads from Rapidshare - the downloads would start at breakneck speed, then stop in the middle.

Ironically, today I haven't had a single problem.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

For testing reasons try using

208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 as your DNS Servers on your computer.