Connectivity problems
brianberns

I have a Belkin router with a direct connection to my computer (not wireless). Several times a week, I experience FiOS connectivity problems. Existing connections (e.g. Skype, Winamp music stream) are unaffected, but I am unable to browse the web. Tracert and Nslookup continue to work fine when this happens, so it seems perhaps to be a port 80 problem only. Restarting the router fixes the problem every time, but is obviously not an ideal solution. Any idea what could cause this?

-- Brian

0 Likes
Re: Connectivity problems
prisaz
Legend
Belkin router? Why not a Verizon supplied router? Think Belkin is better?
0 Likes
brianberns
I bought the router several years ago, before I had FiOS, because it supported pre-N wireless protocol.
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Small NAT table issue, maybe:

http://www.verizonfioswiki.com/index.php/Using_Your_Own_Router

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

All DSLR (dslreports.com) FAQs » Verizon Online FiOS FAQ » Networking » What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

?
0 Likes
brianberns
Thanks for the link, but I am "No FiOS TV, CAT installed" so it doesn't seem like I should have any problem. Basically, I have plain old Ethernet coming into my router.
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
It could be something going wrong with the router. Do you have logging capablilties with that route. Any log files that you can copy and paste from the router when this happens? Have you tried the FIOS supplied router to see if you still get this problem? I know that the Wirless N will not be there, but it may help in trouble shooting the issue. You could connect the Wireless N router to the Verizon router for wireless N features. You coukld disable the DHCP on the Belkin and run it LAN to LAN with the other router.
Message Edited by prisaz on 05-05-2009 05:53 PM
0 Likes
jumpin683
Contributor - Level 1
Try upgrading the firmware to the latest build available.
0 Likes