Connectivity to Netflix from FIOS to BluRay
Floyd5k

Okay folks,

Here's my issue. I cannot connect to Netflix on one of my Blu Ray players. It is a Sony BDP-BX59. Up until two weeks ago I had no problems connecting. Here's a list of what I have done thus far:

1. I am able to connect to all other apps on this BluRay such as YouTube, Crackle, Pandora, etc. - Except Netflix.

2. I bypassed the wireless and direct connected via patch cable from the Actiontech MI424WR Rev. I to the Blu Ray. 

3. I deactivated Netflix on all my devices.

4. I recycled and unplugged power to the router.

5. Reset the Blu Ray to the default factory settings.

6. Changed the primary and secondary DNS per Sony/Netflix

7. Purged the device no. and MAC address from the Blu Ray.

8. BluRay firmware is up-to-date.

The message I get after launching the app is "we're unable to connect you to Netflix. Plese try again or visit www.netflix.com/tvhelp for guidance."

I have been on-line chat and on the telephone with both companies for hours to no avail so I thought someone here with modem/network experience could chime in.

Here's the kicker - 

1. I have another BluRay Player, the Sony BDP-BX58 (earlier model generation) that I am able to connect and stream Netflix.

2. I took the BluRay player in question to my relatives house who also uses Verizon FIOS and it connects without any issues.

Is there a firmware for the Actiontech that could solve this problem or something I can change in the router?

Thanks for looking.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connectivity to Netflix from FIOS to BluRay
Wzoldman
Enthusiast - Level 2
In response to your question, yes it used to work. It has been so long but I think it started fail around mid-Dec. I spent time today trying different MTU settings and finally got it to work with Broadband setting of MTU 1450 .

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Floyd5k

Further to the above, I did check and do have the latest Firmware for the Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I Router. 

Help.... Please?!

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

This will be of no help to you, but let me just say IMHO you've done good troubleshooting.  I'm baffled at what could be causing the problem you're having.

I'm going to be following this thread hoping someone will jump in with a solution that will help you and, as an aside, satisfy my curiosity.

Good luck.

0 Likes
Floyd5k

@Floyd5k wrote:

Further to the above, I did check and do have the latest Firmware for the Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I Router. 

Help.... Please?!

Further to the above, I installed a Netgear WNDR 3400 Router by connecting a patch cable from the Actiontec MI424WR router's LAN port to the Netgear WAN port. Turned off the Actiontec wireless signal, turned on the Netgear wireless broadcast. Now my signal strength is excellent. However... it still doesn't allow me to connect to Netflix!  

Wow I am stumped. C'mon all you smart people out there! Help me out! Do I need to reconfigure the Netgear router in some other way to bypass the Verizon router?

Thanks...... 

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Try this:

It the Netgear's setup turn off / disable the DHCP server on the Netgear router.

Set the Netgear's IP address to something like 192.168.1.2, different from the Actiontec's IP.

Connect the Ethernet from the Actiontec to a LAN (rather than WAN) port on the Netgear.  That way you'll only have one DHCP server and it will be the Actiontec.  In essence your Netgear box will be function as a switch and wireless access point, rather than a router.

I have a similar setup here using a D-Link router as a second WAP.

0 Likes
Floyd5k

Thank you for the response. I believe I have found a temporary workaround and it is now connecting to Netflix. Until I find out more information as to the "why", and "how" this problem occured, I will refrain from publishing my findings. 

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@Floyd5k wrote:

Thank you for the response. I believe I have found a temporary workaround and it is now connecting to Netflix. Until I find out more information as to the "why", and "how" this problem occured, I will refrain from publishing my findings. 

If you post your workaround someone here might be able to help determine the "why" and how."

Floyd5k

Does anyone know when Firmware Version 40.21.10.2 for the MI424WR Gen3I was released?

Is there anyway to know when my router was updated by the monitoring logs or ??

Thanks!

0 Likes
Floyd5k

So after all the time spent trying to resolve this Netflix connectivity issue with my Sony BX59, and spending hours with Sony, Netflix, ActionTec and Verizon support whom, by the way all fingerpoint to each other as being "their fault", I finally resorted to searching for different Mfg of BluRay players exhibiting similar issues. Lo and behold I found a number of Samsung BluRay players having similar issues however it wasn't until I found Xbox users complaining as well. 

Briefly, this connectivity to Netflix issue began in Mid-November. Up until then, I had no problems. According to ActionTec, Version 40.21.10.2 firmware was released at the end of October. I don't exactly know when my Router was updated but I assume it was around November. 

To resolve the connectivity issue, I had to change the MTU settings (Broadband connection). The factory default was set on "Automatic" and 1500. When I changed the setting to "Manual" and reduced the number to 1492, Netflix was able to connect. I changed the setting several times to verify repeatablilty of success/failure. I was able to arrive at 1492 by starting at 1499 and incrementally reduced the number by one until I could get repeatable results. The question remains however is "why"? Is there something in the new Firmware? I don't know much about the advance settings however today when I tried to connect to Netflix, it failed. I logged onto the router and found my MTU settings had reverted back to 1500. So, if anyone has an opportunity to view the routers advance settings in the connection properties, Is "Auto Detection" related to the MTU Settings e.g. when auto detection is "on", will it change the MTU settings or is this related to something different.

Again, I still don't know the root cause but my fingers are starting to point at Verizon or ActionTec because the firmware had been the most recent change when my issue occured.

0 Likes
Wzoldman
Enthusiast - Level 2
Does anyone have additional info on this? I am currently have the issue of not being able to connect to Netfix via my Sony bluray or WD Live Streaming. But I can connect via my IPAD.
0 Likes