Considering adding FIOS Internet, what inbound ports are blocked?
Mendes9
Contributor - Level 1

I currently have comast, and nothing is blocked.. Port 80,21,25,443 etc its' awesome with a normal residential account.  In addition, my IP address on my dynamic service changes maybe once a year, it's like having a static IP.  I know Verizon changes your IP frequently, and I know port 80 inbound is blocked for sure.  What about other ports? Sure I can change my FTP to run on port 20, but that's' a pain for dumb users.  I don't use it that much but it's nice to your own FTP box.   Sure, you can sign up with one of those port redirection services but that gets to be a pain. WIth fios there is no getting around using one of the dynamic DNS services for sure, but I can live with that.  The port blocking is the real issue for me. Sure, I can sign up for  a business account but that's over $100 a month.  I'd love to get fios quantum service and with my TV service pay 1/2 what I do with comcast and double my speed, but then the port blocking is an issue for me. Sure would be nice if they offered a service for people like me that use very very little bandwidth without have to get a business account.  Would appreciate any replies from  other users ... Get as technical as wish.. 20 years IT experience. 

0 Likes
Re: Considering adding FIOS Internet, what inbound ports are blocked?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What ports are blocked using Verizon FiOS?

You'll have to unblock the ports at the router, but most if not all of those should be fine.  Verizon only blocks outbound port 25 at this time. (like comcast)

0 Likes
Mendes9
Contributor - Level 1

Appreciate the reply, I've read that info is too old.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

It's current,  there's just not been any changes to it since.

It's only outbound port 25 you will run into.   no other port blocking is going on right now.

0 Likes
Mendes9
Contributor - Level 1

OK..  I may have to give it a try.  Here is why I'm asking. Had a co-worker who has fios put his PC in the DMZ, and ran an online port scanner and everything came back blocked.. I'm not 100% sure he didn't right but I think he did. That's why I'm statistical.  Ok.. I may have to give it a try.  Thanks again.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

might have been his PC firewall blocking, IDK.  But you should be fine.  Port 80 hasn't been blocked for many many many years, and everything else has been confirmed open except outbound port 25.   

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

OMGoodness,   I thought you said comcast was all clear?!?!

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/list-of-blocked-ports/

Introduction

Find out which ports are blocked by XFINITY and Comcast services, and why.

Find the reasons for blocking listed below

Port

Transport

Protocol

Inbound/

Outbound

Reason for block

TCP

SMTP

Both

Port 25 is unsecured, and Botnet spammers can use it to send spam. This does not affect XFINITY Connect usage. We recommendconfiguring your email program to use port 465.

UDP

BOOTP, DHCP

Inbound

UDP Port 68, which is used to obtain dynamic Internet Protocol (IP) address information from our dynamic host configuration protocol (DHCP) server, is vulnerable to malicious hacks.

135-139

TCP/UDP

NetBios

Both

NetBios services allow file sharing over networks. When improperly configured, ports 135-139 can expose critical system files or give full file system access (run, delete, copy) to any malicious intruder connected to the network.

161-162TCP/UDPSNMPBothSNMP is vulnerable to reflected amplification distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks.

TCP

MS-DS, SMB

Both

Port 445 is vulnerable to attacks, exploits and malware such as the Sasser and Nimda worms.

TCP/UDP

RIP

Both

Port 520 is vulnerable to malicious route updates, which provides several attack possibilities.

TCP

SOCKS

Inbound

Port 1080 is vulnerable to, among others, viruses, worms and DoS attacks.

0 Likes
Mendes9
Contributor - Level 1

Comcast is open, I live outside of Philadelphia.. and I can guarantee you all ports are open.  I've run a web, mail, ftp.. I VPN in.. RDP into my server server for 12 years..since I moved to this house.  Also, their dynamic IP service is like having static your IP changes maybe once a year.  I was out of power for aweek with storm sandy and when I powered back up I still got the same IP. Everything is completely open.  They are going to start blocking port 25 outbound I've heard but not yet.  I also did verify what you said in terms of FIOS I was able to verify it with a friend who has FIOS;.

0 Likes
webdevii1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I know port 80, 443 & 21 are blocked, however just you port forwarding and forward to something like port 8080 to connect to your web server.  Although Verizon does not allow in TOS for residential customers to run web servers, I have been for years on and off and never had an issue.

I also run an FTP type file share site on a NAS.

It is best however if your going to do this to islate the ActionTec router to just your Video services and set up your own router for doing your own internet stuff.

Dev

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Mendes9 wrote:

Had a co-worker who has fios put his PC in the DMZ, and ran an online port scanner and everything came back blocked..

Of course it did.  For a port to be considered open, he would have to have had an application listening and responding on  every port.  Without an application listening, there is nothing there to respond to a connection attempt by a port scanner.  If a connection attempt doesn't complete, the port is considered closed.

0 Likes