Considering switch to FIOS with Triple play, can I use my own modem?
tjaden

Hi folks,

I'm considering switching over to a FIOS triple-play.  I have an existing Nighthawk AC1900 router.  I'm using it for the WIFI, VPN and USB functionality so I would like to continue using it after switching to FIOS.  However, I would like to make sure that I can also use all of functionality in FIOS as well (on-screen caller ID, on-screen guide, DVR).  I don't necessarily care about having to also use a Verizon router, I just want to ensure that I can have my own modem as the primary and also use the Verizon router to handle all of the other stuff if it's a secondary.  I don't really care if it's 'hard' to configure, just wondering if it is possible.  If there are instructions on it somewhere, that would be appreciated as well.

I've tried looking up some articles on it but they are conflicting.

Thanks,

TJ

0 Likes
Re: Considering switch to FIOS with Triple play, can I use my own modem?
starrin
Contributor - Level 3

Have you looked at the Networking section of the FAQ posted here:

www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios

0 Likes
tjaden

Yes.  It seems that the best article is at:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

And, it seems that the best configuration to support everything would be #8.  I just wasn't sure if that was the proper way to do to it since it seems that it doesn't seem like it's supported officially by Verizon.

Is that really the only method to support all of the services?

Thanks,

TJ

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon doesn't use modems.

Routers only.

If you plan to use Verizon stbs, its easiest to use Verizon router.

You can always disable Verizon WiFi and provide with a separate router.

If  it using Verizon stbs, feel free to use your router only.

0 Likes
tjaden

Yeah... sorry about that.  I couldn't find a way to edit the post title to say router.

I realize that it's best to use the Verizon router.  However, I am already using functionality that the Verizon router cannot provide.  So, I would be looking to use my router as the primary and the Verizon router as a secondary (and WIFI disabled).  I wanted to know what would be required to configure that so that all of the Verizon functionality would work.  Having my router as the secondary would not allow me to use the current functionality of my router.

Thanks,

TJ

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have TV service it is complicated to not use the FIOS router as your primary router.  Some suggestions on how to do so can be found at https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios

0 Likes