Constant connection issues
optimus1

So I've switched from comcast to Fios. It has been three weeks now.

I'm really disappointed. Comcast TV on demand selection is much broader. I can't watch on demand shows like the "Walking Dead"  or Big Bang Theory anymore.

But I could live with that.

But the internet? Since I got it, its being a nightmare trying to do anything here. I can browse the internet, but when it comes to:

youtube, amazon video, netflix, itunes, cnet download or pretty much anything that requires broadband. Most of the times I can't use, or have to deal with video buffering all the time, or downloads at really low speeds (bellow 100k/sec)

What is really more annoying is trying to call support and having to listen to the same mantra "Can you run a speed test"

Well, speed tests are showing my speed at 20mbps, but we all know that those speed tests are a sham. Its easy for the providers to have a dedicated link to them.

My point is that for all the things a person expects the internet to work ok, Fios simply can't catch up. Really not able to watch youtube videos? And I'm not even talking about hd. I can't rent a movie on amazon or vudu because I know I'll wait more time on video buffering than the playback itself.

I hope someone at verizon could at least care enough to contact me. For all those that consider switching to this provider and decided to look at this forum first, my advice is: Continue with your comcast subscription, don't make the same mistake I've made

0 Likes
Re: Constant connection issues
MicheleG1

Welcome to Fios!  Yo are now in for these connection issues for the next 2 years unless you buy out your contract!

0 Likes
kanshu

I've had FIOS for several months now and been happy with the service until this past few week. There is a FIOS outage everywhere people have reported this but doesn't seem like Verizon is doing anything.

It's really frustrating.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27957080-Problem-with-Fios

0 Likes
22Becca22
Contributor - Level 3

@optimus wrote:

So I've switched from comcast to Fios. It has been three weeks now.

I'm really disappointed. Comcast TV on demand selection is much broader. I can't watch on demand shows like the "Walking Dead"  or Big Bang Theory anymore.

But I could live with that.

But the internet? Since I got it, its being a nightmare trying to do anything here. I can browse the internet, but when it comes to:

youtube, amazon video, netflix, itunes, cnet download or pretty much anything that requires broadband. Most of the times I can't use, or have to deal with video buffering all the time, or downloads at really low speeds (bellow 100k/sec)

What is really more annoying is trying to call support and having to listen to the same mantra "Can you run a speed test"

Well, speed tests are showing my speed at 20mbps, but we all know that those speed tests are a sham. Its easy for the providers to have a dedicated link to them.

My point is that for all the things a person expects the internet to work ok, Fios simply can't catch up. Really not able to watch youtube videos? And I'm not even talking about hd. I can't rent a movie on amazon or vudu because I know I'll wait more time on video buffering than the playback itself.

I hope someone at verizon could at least care enough to contact me. For all those that consider switching to this provider and decided to look at this forum first, my advice is: Continue with your comcast subscription, don't make the same mistake I've made

Hello,

Regarding FiOS TV On Demand:

Previous episodes of 'The Walking Dead' and 'Big Bang Theory' (and many other shows on various networks) are indeed available for viewing.

From your FiOS TV remote:

1. Click on the * (Star -- On Demand) button right above FiOS TV.
  2. The default section is 'Movies'.  Using the up arrow button on the remote, scroll up to 'TV Shows'.
  3. Scroll to the right and down to 'By Network'.
  • a) Scroll to the right and up to 'A -C', scroll to the right and down to 'AMC', scroll to the right to 'The Walking Dead' (or for HD, scroll to 'AMC HD' first.
  • b) Scroll to the right and up to 'A -C', scroll to the right and down to 'CBS', scroll to the right and up to 'Big Bang Theory' (or for HD, scroll to 'CBS HD' first.

Regarding FiOS Internet, there are various factors that could cause internet connection issues and low speed downloads.

Just some follow-up questions:

• What is the internet speed on your plan?
  • When you contacted Technical Support to troubleshoot, did they provide direction to get the issue isolated to a particular source?
  • Have you tried the following as well?

a) soft reset of your FiOS router - unplug the router's power cord, wait 1 min and plug it back in; wait for all lights to be green; check your internet connection and speed if that made a difference.

b) hard reset of your FiOS router - press the pin on your FiOS router (you may need a paperclip or pencil) for 10 seconds or until all the lights are off on the router; release, wait for 15 seconds and that the router lights are back to green; check your internet connection and speed if that made a difference.

Some things to note:

if you are checking your internet speed online, make sure that you are doing this hardwired to the router and not via a wireless connection.  Also, that the speedtest is the only thing you have running/open on the computer. If you have other windows/browsers/applications open (also some antivirus programs), then this could impact your displayed speed.

If you have one of the FiOS Quantum Speeds and are using multiple wireless devices on the home network, then I'd suggest upgrading your router to the FiOS wireless gigabit 'N' router (if you currently have the single-antenna router) as the regular router supports speeds of only up to 54 Mbps wirelessly.

Here are some forum discussions regarding internet speeds that might be beneficial:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Why-your-Wi-Fi-is-slow/td-p/534451

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/How-to-Get-the-Fastest-FiOS-Speed/td-p/462931

Also, this community forum is where members share their concerns, experiences and ideas regarding Verizon products and services.

If you need to reach Verizon regarding a pressing issue (service or billing), then you can contact them directly.

If you are looking for advice on a particular topic, then community forum members can try to help; there are folks here who can provide their insights on various matters.

0 Likes