Constantly having to reset router
mole
I have new Fios service and a new iMac. I connect to the router with the built in airport on the mac. Nearly every time I try to use the mac to access the internet, the download is very slow averaging 120kpbs if at all. Sometimes I get a message saying I am not connected to the internet, but airport is on. If I reboot the router, the download immediately goes to 10mbs. I have installed Apple broadband tuner with no improvement. This is a real pain. What can I do to avoid having to reboot every time I want to access the internet?
0 Likes
Re: Constantly having to reset router
dalhectar
Enthusiast - Level 1

Do you use bittorrent or some other file sharing service?  From what I understand about the actiontec routers, VZN uses only a portion of the cache in the router.  P2P programs can fill that cache quickly, choking the router.  By restarting the router, you're clearing out the cache.  If you are using a p2p client, try limiting the upload speed.

Also, is your network secure?  Could someone else be mooching off your wireless bandwidth?  Add a wpa2 password.

0 Likes
mole
Thanks for the come back. I am not using any file sharing programs in fact, I do not know what they are, My network is secure. It runs fine without resetting on both of my pcs. Problem is just with the new iMac. I have read in other forums I should try open DNS addresses. What do you think about that?
0 Likes
Djennx36

I have the same issue, like you I have the Actiontec MI424WR and everytime I attempt a (what I would consider a normal download) the device locks up and I have to reboot it. This has killed my online gaming and my ability to VPN into my office. Everytime I call tech support they say reboot the device and to top it off I'm on my 3rd replacement router. This might as well be a dial up connect, the only thing I can do is simple web surfing and viewing email. I switched from Comcast to Fios for the speed and it was cheaper but it's has turned out to be a bad move. Last time I called tech support I asked the guy if he knew of a work around his response was "No but we can send you a new router",  I'm giving them 30 more days then it's back to Comcast.

0 Likes
mole
You need to reset DNS codes for airport. the info is in an apple discussion group. I will try to get that info to you tomorrow. it solved all of my problems. seems to  be a problem with most if not all new macs with leopard 10.5. amazing neither apple nor verizon tech support know about this
0 Likes
mole
in system preferences go to network, then show airport TCP/IP. Put 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3 in the box that says DNS servers
0 Likes
asisson

I've had FIOS internet service for years without issue until I installed the new MI424WR router. I now have to reboot the darn thing all the time. I just signed up for the phone and TV service and am forced to use this new router which loses connectivity all the time when trying to download any files. The only solution is to reboot the router. I am now on my second version of this router and experiencing the same issue.

I am quickly losing confidence in this service and will switch if it is not resolved quickly.

0 Likes
mole
Try the fix in my previous post. It worked for me. No more slow internet and no more reboots
0 Likes
Djennx36
What's really troubling is when you call tech support they tell you this is a known issue with this device, so Verizon knows about this and continues to deploy the faulty devices.
0 Likes