Continual Issues With Actiontec MI424WR Routers
FrustratedFiOS

We moved into a new home last May. When we did our FiOS was installed by Verizon and the technician installed a new Actiontec MI424WR router. Since then we have had to replace the router 2X and I am sure the current router will have to be replaced soon.

What happens is the router will periodically stop communicating with the devices in our house. It shows to have an internet connection, but our PCs and other wireless devices cannot connect. Sometimes resetting the router will help, but sometimes it will not. At first it will only do it a few times per month and increase in frequency until it stops working all together. I call tech support, they try to reset from their end but eventually they cannot get it to reset and they ship us a new one.

I am just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if they have been able to successfully get around it.

0 Likes
Re: Continual Issues With Actiontec MI424WR Routers
Peas5kids
I have that same problem all the time!!! Does anybody have the answer? Please don't make me go back to Comcast!
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Reduce the router to as minimal of functionality as you can to see if it continues to mess up. Do this by:

• Disabling UPnP on the router and enable UPnP Cleanup of old entries (if option still exists)
  • Disabling the IGMP Proxy
  • Disabling the router's Firewall (NAT will still act as a passive Firewall, per se)
  • Disable Auto Channel Scanning on the Wi-Fi, locking it to a channel and leave encryption set to WPA2 to offload encryption to the wireless hardware.
  • Consider setting DNS servers manually on your devices to reduce dependance on the router itself for DNS resolutions.

If you don't know how to do something above and are unable to find out how, feel free to let me know.

As you likely also have a Coaxial connection between the router and the ONT, I would also recommend checking over the Coax for poor connections and bad crimps, especially at the router since a swap seems to help. Also, check to make sure the correct power supply is being used (rating, amperage) for the router so that you are not dealing with a device having too much or too little power being sent to it, causing it to fail over time.

0 Likes
JoeBoo24
Enthusiast - Level 2

Its the router......Actiontec is notorious to have bad record of DOA's or wireless malfunctioning. They ship out hundreds a week to replace bad routers.  Had same problem. Wired works great so I piggy backed my Linksys and problem solved. 

Lan port to Lan port.  I disabled the dhcp on my linksys....no problems for years.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Sometimes it's the service terminal or ONT,   if it happens again ask them to check the ONT logs, and see if there is anything unusual that would warrant a tech..

I had a similiar problem (others too) and they replaced the ONT and all was well.

also you can reboot the ONT yourself if the problem happens again., 

I normally recommend powering down the router and then rebooting the ont.

Also if u have an older router, it may be this problem

0 Likes