Convert FIOS Internet To My Own Router Along With 2 Wireless Networks - Is It Possible?
jwerley

I have no clue when it comes to wireless networking. I currently have FIOS 75/75 (internet only). I would love to be able to have the following things:

1 - Replace my FIOS router with my own router (model TBD) and stop paying the fee.

2 - Run 2 separate wireless networks, one work network (home office) and the other network for family.

3 - Still need ability to run several wired connections as well.

My FIOS is running from the ONT via ethernet to the FIOS router in the center of the house. So I already have this part covered.

Beyond that I have no idea on my next steps. I keep reading on the forums but one post seems to contridict the other post. Do I run a switch from the ONT to both wireless routers? I do or don't want double NAT? Do I just suck it up and run router with 1 network?

0 Likes
Re: Convert FIOS Internet To My Own Router Along With 2 Wireless Networks - Is It Possible?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have TV service with Verizon STB, you might want to keep their router.

You can buy the Verizon router to avoid the monthly fee.

If you want your own router, you can buy it and use it.

But you can't hook switch between ONT and router. ONT will only give out 1 public IP address.

You will have to either take a second router and run it as an access point with a different SSID (this will put all devices on the same subnet) or just hook the wan port of a second router to a lan port of the first.

Devices on that subnet will not have access to devices on the first.

0 Likes
Re: Convert FIOS Internet To My Own Router Along With 2 Wireless Networks - Is It Possible?
davidjplatt

I don't see why you could not replace your Verizon router with a router you purchased since you are only using Internet and not FiosTV with Verizon equipment.  When I first got Fios they gave me wired router and I added a wireless router of my own.  All I did was go into the wireless router's configuration and disable DHCP and assigned it a LAN address (since it wanted to use a default that wouldn't work with the wired router) and nothing plugged into the WAN port.  When I switched over to using their TV service they provided me a free DVR and settop box for 18 month and both required MOCA for the networking.  So they gave me a 802.11g router and I kept using my own second router for coverage.  I have never gone back and switched the router to ethernet from coax 

When I wanted to switch to AC speeds (I can get 867Mbps from router to wireless device at 5Ghz) I merely assigned an IP address to the LAN port on the AC router and plugged in an ethernet cable into one of the four LAN ports on the back.

This works fine and the router I purchased handles up to 4 wireless networks - two 2.4 GHz SSIDs  and 2 5Ghz SSIds.  You could run two separate wireless networks with different passwords from a single router.  I happen to have two AC routers in my home in addition to the Fios router from Verizon - the two AC routers are configured to server the same 5Ghz SSID and the same 2.4Ghz SSID.  The 2.4GHz is for any 802.11n or 802.11g devices I have (such as my iPad, my Roku, FireTV sticks, my iPhone 5s (from my employer), etc.  Any other devices I have are 802.11ac capable and they typically connect at 867 Mbps.

That said, most of my devices are wired (with 8 port gigabit switches in almost every room of the home).

0 Likes