Convert ethernet to coax
cc112
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all, I'm a newbie here and have a question - tried to search through existing threads but couldn't figure it out, please bear with me.

I'm upgrading from 100mbps internet only plan to 300mbps. Current set up is ONT > COAX > MI424WR (wireless turned off) > Orbi rbr50 mesh system.

My understanding from other thread is that Verizon will have anything above 100mbps go through COAX? They will replace it with ethernet? However I don't run ethernet cable all over the place. Trying to leverage the existing COAX cable and existing set up as much as possible. 

I was wondering if new set up can be ONT > ethernet cable > MOAC adapter > COAX > MI424WR (wireless turned off) > Orbi rbr50 mesh system?

I saw people mentioning following adapter but it seems the installation instruction starts with COAX in, and convert it to ethernet, not the reverse order that I wanted. Do you know if it can work the reverse ways? from Ethernet > COAX and then at other side of the house i can connect MI424WR and then Orbi?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013J7O3X0/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeAS...

OR should I use 2 MOAC adapter and do following, woutd this work better? ONT > ethernet cable > MOAC adapter > COAX > MOAC adapter > Orbi rbr50 mesh system

Thank you very much and happy holidays.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Convert ethernet to coax
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

imageInternet via Coax

I just went digging a bit in a video made by another community leader and found this nice diagram. The above diagram likely depicts the setup you currently have, minus the TV service if you did not order such, and minus the phone service if you did not order either.

imageInternet via Ethernet

The above diagram shows if you were to order Internet with speeds higher than 100Mbps, you would need an Ethernet cable between the ONT and the router.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Focusing on the 424...

The 424 has been out of support for a while. I would suggest replacing it with a 3100.

cc112
Enthusiast - Level 2

thank you you are right! it is an old one I had for years. when i sign up for 300mbps, rep said it can support but even if it only get to 150mbps, i will be happy. Main goal is to get most of the existing equipment I have and definitely dont want to run ethernet cable through out the house. Thank you!

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

To provide a little clarity, the 424 is no longer receiving security updates, thus the suggestion to replace it with a 3100. 🙂

cc112
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you. Will look into that one. Any insights into the other questions? Thank you.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cc11 wrote:

My understanding from other thread is that Verizon will have anything above 100mbps go through COAX? They will replace it with ethernet? However I don't run ethernet cable all over the place. Trying to leverage the existing COAX cable and existing set up as much as possible.

This is a little complicated. I think you are confusing two coax networks as one. The first coax network is between the ONT and your router, and this is the so called MoCA WAN. The second network is from your router to the rest of MoCA devices in your house, and this is the so called MoCA LAN.

The speed upgrade only concerns how your Internet is delivered from the ONT to your router, and right now, your Internet is delivered through MoCA WAN. Given the outdated chip in the ONT, you cannot order speeds higher than 100Mbps when your Internet is delivered through MoCA WAN. To resolve this issue, your should change your Internet delivery mechanism to Ethernet. To do this, simply route an Ethernet cable between the ONT and your router, and chat with a service presentative on Social Media platforms to change the provision on the ONT from MoCA WAN to Ethernet.

Notice, nothing in the speed upgrade procedure touches your MoCA LAN because that is a separate issue. Your MoCA LAN can continue to function regardless whether your Internet is delivered from the coaxial or Ethernet cables. Nonetheless, VZ have better MoCA LAN gears if you would like to buy or rent. The current MoCA LAN can support a throughput of 2500Mbps with MoCA 2.5, higher than the highest Fios speed offered by VZ (so far, and may about to change).

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I, myself, don't have any experience with the converters as my setup consists of a 3100 router and (3) 3200 extenders.

I recently upgraded my Internet from 400 to Gig. While I was running 400, one of the extenders was connected via coaxial cable.

That arrangement was able to deliver around 500 which is the same result as testing from Ethernet connected extenders (albeit with a slightly higher ping time).

Once I upgraded, the coaxial cable was replaced by Ethernet. 🙂

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

imageInternet via Coax

I just went digging a bit in a video made by another community leader and found this nice diagram. The above diagram likely depicts the setup you currently have, minus the TV service if you did not order such, and minus the phone service if you did not order either.

imageInternet via Ethernet

The above diagram shows if you were to order Internet with speeds higher than 100Mbps, you would need an Ethernet cable between the ONT and the router.

cc112
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you very much. What you said makes a lot of sense and the diagrams were very helpful. There is no phone or TV, only Internet. I understand 300mbps Internet will be delivered via ethernet. Also understand the Ethernet coming out of ONT should be plugged into my router. My problem is ONT is far from the router in a different room. I dont want to run ethernet cable from ONT to router. I want to leverage the COAX cable that is already in the wall. There are COAX outlet at both ONT location and the router location.

Therefore I was thinking use maybe 2 MOAC adapters to link up as following: ONT > ethernet cable > MOCA adaptor > COAX cable in the wall> MOCA adaptor > router.

I'm assuming this part im asking is MOAC LAN that you mentioned right? Would this proposed set up work? I'm new to this and not sure if the adapter below can achieve what I wanted. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013J7O3X0/ref=twister_B08XVL3GVS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

or https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XWC4JGB/ref=twister_B09DFNP17D?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you very much.

cc112
Enthusiast - Level 2

understood, thank you very much. Kudos to you.