Copper retirement and new services
ropeguru1

So I just found out that Verizon is retiring all the copper facilities out of my wire center. Currently I have no Verizon services and 3Mb/786k DSL is worthless and I do all VoIP for my phone services.

When Verizon is replacing the copper infrastructure with fiber to the premisis (FTTP) do services like FiOS internet bcome available? 

I would love to be able to switch over to a symmetrical internet connection from the paltry upload that Comcast offers.

0 Likes
Re: Copper retirement and new services
jonjones1
Legend

• @ropeguru wrote:

So I just found out that Verizon is retiring all the copper facilities out of my wire center. Currently I have no Verizon services and 3Mb/786k DSL is worthless and I do all VoIP for my phone services.

When Verizon is replacing the copper infrastructure with fiber to the premisis (FTTP) do services like FiOS internet bcome available? 

I would love to be able to switch over to a symmetrical internet connection from the paltry upload that Comcast offers.

You know i believe that if fiber is brought to your home, the fibre can be used for other services. My mother in law refused the install of the fibre due to evasive techniques to run into her residence. However fios internet has been available in our area for almost 4 years. Call 1-800-VERIZON and see what they say. Or go here and ask 

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber

ropeguru1

Thanks for the reply. I could not imagine Veriaon spending that much on new fiber then not offereing any new services to recoup some of the cost.

Other areas out of the same CO have FiOS available to them. I think even the school directly in front of my house has access to it, but my older subdivision was passed by.

I already have a thread on DSLR, https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32503484-FiOS-on-the-way ,  but have not gotten any useful info yet. Just one user being adament that Verizon mgmt has made their intentions clear on new deployment and not providing any real info.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

I just read the thread you posted there. What replyer number one was referring to was verizon has made it clear that they will not be doing any new buildouts of fios.

i would suggest you contact the NYS Department of Public Service since you are in NY.

http://www.dps.ny.gov 

they have a toll free number to reach them. It could not hurt to ask. Now based on what i know of the Retirement of copper in NY verizon cannot leave customers high and dry. A call to the DPS will bear this out. They also cannot just cut off your phone service under copper. I don’t know if DSL is included in that.

my estimation is if verizon is running fibre to your home phone service, many other services should run on the same fibre. But see what the Public Service Commission thinks. If you are living in NYS and the boroughs verizon must hook you up under an order with NYC i forget the office but they will hook under those guidelines.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

The OP states he has no Verizon services today.
So I am not sure that he can claim he is required to FiOS.
The company I work for has some services being retired off copper but they are affecting sites like Trenton and Allentown. Not NYC.

jonjones1
Legend

look at this link here:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32417435-NJ-Latest-List-Of-Central-Office-Copper-Retirements

Seems you will get other services. I hope the poster and verizons statement are correct.

0 Likes
ropeguru1

Ummm.. Not sure where you got I was in NY, I am in Virginia..

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@ropeguru wrote:

Ummm.. Not sure where you got I was in NY, I am in Virginia..

My apologies. I was reading quickly and set you as NY. I see from the DSL report site it was not NY.

0 Likes
pnoguchi2

I was called by Verizon on an 800 number, and told I needed to switch from copper to fiber or my home phone service will be stopped. I have not been able to find any documentation of this on the Verizon web site.

Another question I have is whether I have to switch phone numbers, or whether I can retain them. I have had the same phone number for 40 years, and it would bring a host of problems if I cannot retain them.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes that is true. Verizon is retiring copper services. No you won’t have to change your number. If you call Verizon you should be able to schedule the installation. 

0 Likes